Author   Comment  
TommyT

Reply with quote  #1 
I like to make the Bus/Van from this set and blow the pattern up to different sizes.  One of the things that I make often from this set is the Two-Toned Surfer Van.  Separating the top color paint from the bottom color always presented a problem.  No matter how well I masked the two area's I always got bleed through from the tape leaving my line jagged and uneven.  

So, I came up with a simple solution that works great for me.  Cut the Top off the Van and paint the top one color and the bottom the other choosen color then glue the two pieces back together.  Perfect separation line!  This step only adds a few minutes to the project and seems well worth it to me.  Here is how I do it:

Using a pencil and a Combination Square I draw a line on the pattern about 1/8' below the bottom of the window area.
IMG_1939.jpg   

Once the piece is fully cut, I then cut the seperation line.

IMG_1940.jpg  

Now you will have a Top and a Bottom that you can easily paint with your colors of choice.

After they are painted and fully dried, it's simple to glue the two pieces back together and you will have a nice clean looking Two-Tone vehicle!
IMG_1941.jpg 

The results are worth the little extra time this takes.  
IMG_1943.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
This sure is easier than taping.  And I for one cannot paint just following a line.  Nice tip.
Cindy
TommyT

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Cindy...easy to do!  Here is the final product I just finished about an hour ago.IMG_1944.jpg 

Reply with quote  #4 
TommyT - Great little trick, thanks for posting.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi TommyT
These look so good with the little Surf Boards on top.
   I am so glad you took the time to show your tec for painting a two part car.
I like to do the same thing as you do, but I am not so good at explaining as you are.
   Like you I think this is so much easier than trying to paint a straight line and all the masking and stuff.
Thanks for sharing your cute little buses.
They look great.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
Tommy in U K  They sell masking tape that is advertised as anti paint bleed . It is called  "Frog Tape " and is blue or green in colour .  I don't know how good it is but it is designed for that purpose . It is fairly expensive so I hope it works . I will have to try it . Your idea is ok if the dimensions aren't critical ,as you will reduce the size of you model by the width of the  saw cut .  Douglas  [thumb]
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi All

Tommy I use the same idea on the cars I want to bake in an oven.  Like you I will cut the part of the car off I want to bake, then when finished just glue them back together.  Note:  If you bake the wood too much, you might get some shrinkage, and some sanding may be required, but it sure makes for a nice line between the baked and unbaked pieces.

Douglas:  I have found when cutting the smaller pieces like 3/4" thick, and using a #2 or smaller blade, you can hardly tell that you lost any wood or fit due to the kirf of the blade.
Also, I have used the frog tape for painting and it works really good.  If however, I have a curved line cutting the part is so much easier.
Like in the photo below. The two cars were cut, baked and glued back together.DSC06524_mini.JPG 
The photo of the Zebra below is done the same way TommyT described.  I am not a very good painter by hand and wanted the zebra strips to be clean and even, so again, I cut the zebra in to the 14 parts you see, painted them, then glued them back together.  These cuts were done with a .02 blade on MDF and there is almost no lose, as you might be able to see.
DSC06516_mini.JPG 

Again TommyT for sharing your idea for the Bus.  Came out very cute.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #8 
Tommy - adding that little surf board to the play pals is just so darn cute.    And Ken - my zebra on the animal train was a hot mess with me trying to paint within the lines and it would take forever to tape that much.  It ended up being 1 animal short on my train.  I will do the cutting next time, especially for a project that is black and white. 20150215_145751_resized_1.jpg 
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #9 
Cindy

I like your animal train.  You can paint them on with straight lines, I on the other hand would be all over the place. 

For me at least, cutting, painting, and putting them back together, like TommyT did makes my toys come out so much better.

Udie

Reply with quote  #10 
Wow, what a great bunch of creative toy making and painting. TommyT looks like you hit a nerve.
Wonderful stuff people, thanks for posting.
TommyT

Reply with quote  #11 
Great job Cindy and Ken! Ken, someday I'll get the hang of baking wood.  I've tried it but was not happy with the results.

Cindy, I love your animal train!  Great job on painting them!  Amazing!

Reply with quote  #12 
TommyT

If I can bake the wood and get some of it to turn out OK. I know you can.
Give it another try, once you get it close to right, you will love the effect on the wood.

Photo below is one of my favorite projects for the baked wood. Burnt DSC03751_mini.JPG 
The best thing about baked wood toys is there is NO PAINTING, so when you go to glue it all together there is NO MASKING.  Especially on a toy like the Bi-Plane it makes the thing so much easier and faster to build.  Also the people looking at it think you really did something special with the wood.

I have to say thanks tho John and Cynthia for turning us on to this technique.

TommyT

Reply with quote  #13 
Beautiful Ken!!!

Reply with quote  #14 
Yep !   loads of good ideas ....I will have to try them all out . Thanks for the tips everyone . Douglas
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #15 
one thing with masking using tape of frisket paper is: you HAVE to burnish it to get it to seat properly on your material. Rub it with your finger nail or a rounded over piece of dowel and you'll notice it goes dark(er) than the surrounding tape. If you don't do this you WILL get bleed....(and even then if you're using solvent based stains it will erode the tape adhesive and bleed through). The thing about stain is: it is meant to soak into the wood and since wood is porous, it will creep under the tape. Paint on the other hand is meant to sit on the surface therefore won't soak into the wood.

If I want a sharp line what I do is use a strip of tape wider than I need then cut the line with a brand new never used xacto #1 blade. You not only get a razor sharp line but it scores the wood a little bit. If you're using lacquer based paints that paint settles into this line and produces a lazer sharp edge. What this does is cut the wood fibres ever so slightly.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.