Author   Comment  
ddilucchio

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,

I was watching the Noah's Magnificent Father Son Ark you tube video on toymakingplans.com, does anyone know what he is using to hold the pattern down to the wood so you can scroll saw the paper pattern on the wood?  In the You Tube video on this website He brushes some kind of liquid to the wood to hold the paper pattern onto the wood to make it easier to scroll saw.

I just got into wood toy making and built my first toy from the Free Toy Plan Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck and it was so much fun I decided to purchase the plans for the Noah's Ark. 

I also want to thank toymakingplans.com for making that free download available, I have found a new passion and hobby now.

If anyone would please be able to pass along for a new toymaker what he used to hold down the paper pattern to scroll saw and please any other ideas out there as well.

Thank you,

Chad DiLucchio IMG_0058.jpg 

Tony

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice job on the trunk well done for a first. I use glue sticks mostly I fine them less messy and easy to clean off.
Tony

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 

Hi Chad,

First of all, welcome to the forum and to toymaking. It looks as if you are already a pro at woodworking. The Benz looks great. You ask an important question about sticking patterns to wood. For the ark patterns, Goran actually used paste made from flour and water mixed into a thin "warm honey consistency" solution. That is all he has available in his small village in Serbia. There is a much better solution.

I use blue 2" wide painter's masking tape from Home Depot. It costs around $7 for 60 yards of tape. That amount of tape will work for dozens of toys. This is how you use it for patterns. First, wrap the tape smoothly around the wood you are applying the pattern to. Burnish it down tightly to the wood on the surface that will receive the pattern. Next, cut out the paper pattern and spray the back of the paper pattern with 3M-77 Spray Adhesive. Then apply the paper pattern on top of the blue tape that is attached to the wood.

The blue tape makes a perfect base for the sticky pattern and protects the wood from the 3M-77 permanent adhesive. This way the permanent adhesive welds the pattern to the blue tape so it does not lift or come off during sawing.  You can also effectively use clear plastic packing tape in the 2" width. Clear plastic tape also acts as a lubricant for the saw blade and will help provide a cleaner cut. Some clear plastic tapes do not stick to or come off of the wood as well as the blue tape. I have found that regular masking tape-the tan colored type-does not work well for this.

When you have completed sawing out the toy part it is very simple and easy to remove the blue tape from the part. I have found that this process works perfectly and actually speeds up the applying patterns to and removing patterns from the wood. It is more than worth the small cost of the tape.

3M-77 adhesive.jpg  blue tape.jpg 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome to the forum Chad.

Good looking first build, be sure to check out the other free patterns here as well. These patterns give you a lot to cut your toy making teeth on. Also look through the posts and there is a "really wood trucks" pattern set as well that John has graciously made available to the group. The beauty of this plan is it is very straight forward build and lends itself to all sorts of mods ...

Anyway I tend to use "Elmer's glue stick" and packing tape over that. But the pattern does release some time. I'm cheap so tend not to do the spray glue and painters tape LOL
Anyway don't be a stranger and be sure to post lots of pictures, all of us like to see pictures of works in progress and finished products [biggrin][thumb]

Reply with quote  #5 
Ed-I have use your technique for quick builds and it works very well. 
ddilucchio

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you very much for the info on techniques to hold the pattern to the wood and the compliments.

Waiting for a scroll saw to be delivered in a couple weeks and I'll be able to start on the Noah's Magnificent Father Son Ark, Im going to make it for my wife's Sunday school class.

But in the mean time, I can't wait to start building again...so I'm going to start on the Classic Freight Liner Semi-Truck next and will post a pic when completed.

Thank you again.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
I've used:
  • 3M 77 with no tape works way to good you have to soak it with solvent to get the pattern off. In some cases this is just what you need.
  • 3M 77 with blue painters tape works very well as long as you don't use cheap tape front the dollar store and make sure there isn't any dust or dirt on the wood. I use 3M tape. I don't wrap the wood with tape. I only apply iy to the side I;m putting a the pattern on and roll everything down with a seem roller.
  • Taped the pattern down with just clear packing tape This only works in special cases.
  • I occasionally use glue sticks. It's hard to get a good coat and the pattern will come off if the surface isn't very clean and smooth. It works but I'm not a fan.
  • My old standby is rubber cement. It's cheap, not an aerosol, works good it your careful and follow the instructions. If I'm cutting something difficult I will apply the pattern directly to the wood and put clear packing tape over it. It comes off fairly easy and residue can be removed fro the wood by rubbing it with you finger. If you apply it to both surfaces it can be troublesome to remove.

Clear packing tape lubricates you blade and it sticks better than blue tape but I find that the dust from my scroll saw sticks to it so I don't use it much. Static electricity would bee my guess.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

rdredge

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi!  I use 8 1/2 x 11 removable avery label pages.  I print off the patterns onto it and put them on the board.  They stick well enough to cut and just peel right off, no sticky junk to get off! 
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Chad,

Firstly I cover the wood to be cut with ordinary masking tape. The wood must be clean and dust free. To make sure that the masking tape sticks properly to the wood, I roll it with a smallish rubber roller.
Then I apply the normal white wood glue with a brush to the masking tape on the area where the pattern goes. I place the pattern on the glue and press it down lightly by hand making sure that it does not shift or distort the drawing.  I then use the roller to make sure the pattern bonds properly and also to get rid of any air bubbles.
When using the roller, please make sure that the roller does not pick up any glue as it will pick up the paper of the pattern when you roll it. I roll it in one direction and then clean the roller before rolling the next area of the pattern.
Lastly allow the pattern to dry which normally takes about 2 hours.
After cutting out the wood, the pattern can easily be removed by peeling of the masking tape.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dolf
john lewman

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks Dolf. This is something I am going to try today. Great idea.
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #11 
I print the patterns, then I spray contact cement onto 1/8" plywood. then I cut the parts out. I use these as patterns, to trace onto the actual work piece. The templates go into a bin when not in use. When I want to make another part, I just grab the template and go.
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #12 
I simply spray the back of the paper pattern with some cheapo spray adhesive - just to the back of the paper. Allow to get 'tacky' and apply to the timber.

Cut out your pattern and simply peel the remainder off when cutting is complete.

I get my spray glue from one of our 'dollar stores' here in the land of Oz [thumb]

Reply with quote  #13 
I like to not glue at all. Usually the pattern comes off the wood while sawing or I need to sand and sand to get it off after sawing.
A template of the pattern is used to draw lines on the wood. Easy to draw and with sanding I know where to stop.

- Miriam -

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.