Author   Comment  
Wood'n N'at

Reply with quote  #1 
I would like to make wooden trains and I can't figure our how I can made the cow catcher for the front of the train engine.   I would like to make  something like two 30 degree angles coming to a point.  I plan the make the cow catcher on a piece of 1X3" lumber which is 6 inches in length which I'm using as the base of the engine.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
Thanks
Doc

Reply with quote  #2 
Wood'n N'at, do you have a band saw, table saw or scroll saw or even a jig saw?
Simply set your table or blade angle to 30 degrees and cut to a centre point on the wood.

Reply with quote  #3 
Wood'n N'at - I did send you a private e-mail, hope you received it.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these just might just help you.
It's all about the bevel and mitre angles.
For some reason they are not in the same order as I entered them, but I think you will be able to follow the logic.
Udie

12 Bevel 45 Mitre 60.jpg  13 Bevel 60 Mitre 30.jpg 
14 Bevel Test.jpg 
15 Mitre Test.jpg

8 Helm Test Cuts.jpg 
9 Bevel 45 vs 60.jpg  10 Bevel n Mitre 45.jpg

Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #4 
Udie those are spot on nice job of putting it together so us mortals could understand it ... the math always seems to mix itself up in my brain to many rough roads I think! - Don
blackwolf

Reply with quote  #5 
Plywood or MDF ?

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Doc. I failed to mention that I also want to have the angle beveled back; that adds to my perceived complication.
Wood'n N'at

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks to the explanation from Udie and the photos, my problem has been solved!

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, Udie! That is really cool! Your photos are terrific. As Sdaupanner said, thanks for making it understandable for us mere mortals!
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #9 
Udie : Is this one of those compound angles that can be done on a Compound Miter Saw? I can picture the cow catcher in the back of my mind but the use of several angles at the same time is the part that gets me. In the case of the cow catcher it is just two angles right or is there one or two more hidden that we mortals don't see???
Udie

Reply with quote  #10 
Sdaupanner
Yes - These cuts can easily be done on the mitre saw, just like cutting crown moulding.
But doing them on the table saw is just as easy.
Remember:
A 'Bevel' cut is cutting the wood at an angle other then 90 degrees across the flat side of the wood.
This is done by changing the angle of the blade with respect to the saw table.

A 'Mitre' cut is cutting the wood at an angle other than 90 degrees.
This is done by pushing the wood at an angle into the saw blade, by changing the angle of your Mitre Gauge.

Now, do not be thinking about trying this on small/short pieces.
Start with a long piece, cut the end to the bevel and mitre as you wish and then cut the piece to your final length.
The bevel cut is not big deal, pretty straight forward.
But, sneak up on the mitre until you reach your center line.

In the January 19, 2014 issue of Wood Toy News (WTN) I demonstrated the build of the Top Gun Aircraft Carrier.
The article and video shows these types of cuts being made. I even confess to a boo-boo while cutting the Hull. The article and video are also featured in the "Wood Toy Workshop" section of the web site.
Take a look, I think you might find both interesting.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you I will check them out this afternoon I have done the crown moldings but they are for me mind benders and I have to see things being done otherwise I am left in the dark when it come to fancy cuts.  - Don
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.