Bubba
I have an arc 1.5" deep, with diameter about 6", which I need to sand. I cut the piece with a jig saw and came mostly good but some of the arc line is not exact and I need to shave it off here and there. Also the edges of the arc I want to sand so they are round and smooth... I did it by hand using an empty tin can with sand paper around it, but it was taking a long time and I have many more of those to make. 

What is the easiest and cheapest way I can get the job done? I currently don't have any power sanding tools, and think it's time to get some. Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Greg
have you had a look at a spokeshave    I have one that I use occasionally  I am not greatwith it yet but  but it does cut down on sanding  
Trav
I hate hand sanding. I purchased a spindle sander off amazon last week when I saw it was about 45% off. It was a Rockwell model (I've never used that brand before). It's still on the Canadian amazon site for ~$180. I'm not sure whether that fits your budget or not. Power tools are expensive so I try to only get them when they're marked down of for special occasions.
Come to think of it, that sander should arrive today.
Bubba
Thank you Greg and Trav, those look like really good tools.
Bubba
I wonder if anyone has tried to make a spindle by attaching a drill upside down to something, then putting a spindle on it? How could you do something like that?

Greg
another tool you may want to look at is the sand devil 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sand+devil+tool+video&oq=sand+devil&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39l2j0l3.7098j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

it is inexpensive and looks like it can replace  tin cans , scraps of wood and pieces of doweling 
Bubba
This is brilliant, thank you Greg.
Greg
no problem   glad to help   if you get one let us know how it works for you
BadBob
+1 On the sand devil. I have had one for a couple of years. Sanding belts last a lot longer than your typical sandpaper sheets.

You can make these.
Simple Belt Sander Blocks

Bubba
I build a sanding bow and used a sanding belt which I cut to fit the bow, and made two different ones so I don't have to change the paper. Works beautifully. Never ordered the sanding devil but would still like to get it in the future. 
lweller
Trav wrote:
I hate hand sanding. I purchased a spindle sander off amazon last week when I saw it was about 45% off. It was a Rockwell model (I've never used that brand before). It's still on the Canadian amazon site for ~$180. I'm not sure whether that fits your budget or not. Power tools are expensive so I try to only get them when they're marked down of for special occasions.
Come to think of it, that sander should arrive today.

I also use the oscillating spindle sander, which is great.  If this is too costly, you might consider the drum sanding kit, found on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19521-Rubber-Sanding/dp/B01CU7DGY2?crid=2FVQZJK0ES1R7&keywords=drum+sander+for+drill+press&qid=1540076473&s=Home+Improvement&sprefix=drum+sand%2Caps%2C198&sr=1-2&ref=sr_1_2
Lloyd Weller
lweller
I also use the oscillating spindle sander, which is a great tool.  I have the Wen, which cost a little less than $100.  But, here's a cheaper option if needed.  This was found on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19521-Rubber-Sanding/dp/B01CU7DGY2?crid=2FVQZJK0ES1R7&keywords=drum+sander+for+drill+press&qid=1540076473&s=Home+Improvement&sprefix=drum+sand%2Caps%2C198&sr=1-2&ref=sr_1_2
Lloyd Weller