Author   Comment  
Bubba

Reply with quote  #1 
I have an arc 1.5" deep, with diameter about 6", which I need to sand. I cut the piece with a jig saw and came mostly good but some of the arc line is not exact and I need to shave it off here and there. Also the edges of the arc I want to sand so they are round and smooth... I did it by hand using an empty tin can with sand paper around it, but it was taking a long time and I have many more of those to make. 

What is the easiest and cheapest way I can get the job done? I currently don't have any power sanding tools, and think it's time to get some. Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Greg

Reply with quote  #2 
have you had a look at a spokeshave    I have one that I use occasionally  I am not greatwith it yet but  but it does cut down on sanding  
Trav

Reply with quote  #3 
I hate hand sanding. I purchased a spindle sander off amazon last week when I saw it was about 45% off. It was a Rockwell model (I've never used that brand before). It's still on the Canadian amazon site for ~$180. I'm not sure whether that fits your budget or not. Power tools are expensive so I try to only get them when they're marked down of for special occasions.
Come to think of it, that sander should arrive today.
Bubba

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Greg and Trav, those look like really good tools.
Bubba

Reply with quote  #5 
I wonder if anyone has tried to make a spindle by attaching a drill upside down to something, then putting a spindle on it? How could you do something like that?

Greg

Reply with quote  #6 
another tool you may want to look at is the sand devil 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sand+devil+tool+video&oq=sand+devil&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39l2j0l3.7098j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

it is inexpensive and looks like it can replace  tin cans , scraps of wood and pieces of doweling 
Bubba

Reply with quote  #7 
This is brilliant, thank you Greg.
Greg

Reply with quote  #8 
no problem   glad to help   if you get one let us know how it works for you
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
+1 On the sand devil. I have had one for a couple of years. Sanding belts last a lot longer than your typical sandpaper sheets.

You can make these.
Simple Belt Sander Blocks

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bubba

Reply with quote  #10 
I build a sanding bow and used a sanding belt which I cut to fit the bow, and made two different ones so I don't have to change the paper. Works beautifully. Never ordered the sanding devil but would still like to get it in the future. 
lweller

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav
I hate hand sanding. I purchased a spindle sander off amazon last week when I saw it was about 45% off. It was a Rockwell model (I've never used that brand before). It's still on the Canadian amazon site for ~$180. I'm not sure whether that fits your budget or not. Power tools are expensive so I try to only get them when they're marked down of for special occasions.
Come to think of it, that sander should arrive today.

I also use the oscillating spindle sander, which is great.  If this is too costly, you might consider the drum sanding kit, found on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19521-Rubber-Sanding/dp/B01CU7DGY2?crid=2FVQZJK0ES1R7&keywords=drum+sander+for+drill+press&qid=1540076473&s=Home+Improvement&sprefix=drum+sand%2Caps%2C198&sr=1-2&ref=sr_1_2

Reply with quote  #12 
I also use the oscillating spindle sander, which is a great tool.  I have the Wen, which cost a little less than $100.  But, here's a cheaper option if needed.  This was found on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19521-Rubber-Sanding/dp/B01CU7DGY2?crid=2FVQZJK0ES1R7&keywords=drum+sander+for+drill+press&qid=1540076473&s=Home+Improvement&sprefix=drum+sand%2Caps%2C198&sr=1-2&ref=sr_1_2

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.