Author   Comment  
KenFM

Reply with quote  #1 
Since I started making wooden toys I have been bothered by the final finishing. I have used lacquer out of a spray can (found this expensive and poor control) I have used French Polish ( problem getting into the small gaps) I have used conventional spray equipment (air driven compressor ) waxes and so on and so on.
Today I purchased the WAGNER Flexio 687E HVLP spray equipment at a cost of £118. It comes with 2 spray guns 1 for home decorating (emulsions etc have not told the wife yet!!!) and the second has a small cup gun for coating materials such as water-and solvent paints, primers, lacquers.
   I have been using very expensive HVLP equipment for many years and could not justify to spend in excess of £1,000 to get my desired finish.
I was apprehensive to test this equipment (will it be a waste of money or the answer to my finishing at an excellent price).
   Well the results just blew me away. After unpacking the turbine and gun I was impressed with the weight and how easy it was to set up. I use water based gloss lacquer without any dilution. I decided to do my testing on MDF as this is what I use the most of. The control of the gun was fantastic so I put a fine missed of the lacquer as a primer then applied by brush 2 coats of water based colours and then applied a full coat of the lacquer using a small spray pattern. The results were outstanding.
   In conclusion I believe this equipment and the purchase of the lacquer by the gallon will pay for it's self over and over again.
Ken
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
KenFM - That's great news about the Wagner and your results. I called a couple of our big box stores today and they were not familiar with the model number, so I guess it's not available in CANADA yet. 
  I did go to Wagner's web site and saw it there and a couple of other interesting ones also which offered interchangeable cups and sprayers.
  Could post a photo of the sprayer so our members and guests can see what it looks like and we would sure like to see some of your results, photos like before and after spraying.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #3 
I found this to be of enough interest my self to go out on the web to see what was there .... I saw one in the 118.00 line but not with the same number remember a picture is wort a thousand words. Great post of a product I have been wondering about, used to paint houses for a living many moons ago and at that time we did it all with brush and roller ... I can only see that if we did things with a sprayer today the time would have been cut in half!!!
Don
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
I found the Flexio 687 model at http://www.wagner-group.com.
KenFM

Reply with quote  #5 
You can find the Wagner HVLP equipment demonstrated on You Tube just type Wagner 687E you tube
Ken
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah, I can't believe so many here are brushing their finishes on! I just started toy making about a month ago and have simply applied the same techniques I've used on real cars, and furniture/cabinet making to toys.....

I have about ....errr......6 guns total and 3 airbrushes. HVLP is a relatively new thing since it reduces overspray and fogging the air a lot more than conventional guns.....(plus it saves your compressor since it doesn't have to cycle on or off as much).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.