Author   Comment  
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #1 
I love the old hot rods and have made more sets of the Freaky Fords than anything other plan that I've bought.  This one was inspired by that set and is still in the Ford family (sort of ) [smile]  Based on a 1940 Mercury coupe...couldn't figure out how to get those signature rear windows, but still pretty cool.  The last pic is what I based it off of. IMG_0101.JPG  IMG_0102.JPG  IMG_0106.jpg  IMG_0107.jpg  IMG_0108.jpg  IMG_0109.jpg 

40Mercury_vonskip_1.jpg

Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
Brilliant Jason.

I like the extra detail with the running boards on there.

You have certainly captured the style of the original Mercury.

How did you mount the rear wheels?
Did you cut out a hole in the body or the inside of the guards?
Bit hard to see in the pics.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Excellent!
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
Very impressive, great workmanship and paint job. Really like the wheels, how did you paint them so perfectly

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you all!  I really appreciate the way we all give feedback on each others work and you all inspire me to make my toys better.

Rod T: in the first prototype, I used a 1" forstner bit to create a cavity for the wheel in the fender only.  However, once i mounted them to the body, it didn't look right since the fenders were 3/4 wide.  So in this one, I use the same bit to create a cavity in the body and in the fender.  I have a pic below.  You'll notice the spacers that I had to add in the front wheels.  Originally, I thought I should create the same cavity in the body for all four wheels.  However, once I started assembly, it looked weird with the front wheels so deep in the fenders.  So I added the spacers, painted them red, and decided we would call it a disc brake conversion kit. Haha!

By the way, I used Cynthia's paste wax finish on top of the paint and it was still wet when I posted the pics yesterday.  This morning it is set up nicely, giving the car the matte finish that I wanted.

IMG_0112.jpg 

ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
This is really cool. 
eburk

Reply with quote  #7 
Really nice. Hate to age myself, but reminds me of my first car.

Reply with quote  #8 
So sweet!
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
I love it! Beautiful design.
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #10 
Well done.. I like it... Brings back memories
dmjones

Reply with quote  #11 
Oh man, Oh man, Oh man! Do I love what you did with this car. I think this is the coolest thing I've seen. Great job man!
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you all for the comments!! I have a feeling this will be the first of many. Am motivated to see what else I can do with the platform that John has given us with all of these plans.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.