Author   Comment  
hchavezjr

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone. This is not a toy but I just wanted to show off an intarsia piece I recently worked. It was completed this weekend.
All pieces are natural colored wood except for the darker green pieces. They were green poplar but I dyed them with RIT dye to bring out a darker color.
Woods used was
Curley maple
Marble wood
Purple Heart
Blood wood
Figured redwood
Pad auk
Yellow heart
Indian rosewood

The images show the progress I'd did during the cutout and the image with me holding the piece gives you the idea how big it really is - 26" tall.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 81, Size: 709.68 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 85, Size: 709.23 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 73, Size: 756.41 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 80, Size: 802.45 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 90, Size: 833.04 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 87, Size: 802.41 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 87, Size: 871.08 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 87, Size: 927.39 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 101, Size: 843.18 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 115, Size: 814.53 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 115, Size: 617.02 KB 

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
I can see why you'd want to show that one off, it's fantastic. Thanks for the showing of the build as I had no idea how the Intarsia works. Very well done and I'm glad to see it.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #3 
Wow that is a very nice piece of art work your holding.
Thanks for sharing this.

There are times I wish we had another category to the board or other projects such as this...

Reply with quote  #4 
Beautiful.

How many pieces?

hchavezjr

Reply with quote  #5 
Total pieces is 175
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for posting this beautiful dragon. I am really impressed. To all of you toymakers out there, if you want to see more of this genius toymaker's work go to the Search section in the bar at the top of this post then in the typing bar that is titled Search by Username type in his username: hchavezjr. You will see some of the finest toys ever posted in the forum and a big selection of them. Don't forget to click the Search button at the bottom of the page after you type in his name. There a lots of posts and lots of fine examples of great toymaking. You will be glad you took a look!

And Ed has a great idea about all other kinds of projects. I think we can up the forum memory enough to handle all kinds of projects. I would love that. I have to get Cynthia's approval and if it is possible have her set it up. She is the computer guru in our company. I am a dunce with it. She designs and manages the technology behind our website and forum and is a true genius with it. She also manages the business, bookkeeping and customer service. I would be in way over my head without her.
Lloyd

Reply with quote  #7 
Very nice I do like Intarsia the first things i made with my Scroll Saw and made about 20 Intarsia pieces now and two dragon
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Harry, this is amazing! How long did this take you? This is a fine art piece and is beautiful to study and look at! Thanks for the great photos.
Tony

Reply with quote  #9 
What an amazing piece of art, thanks for sharing.
Tony

Reply with quote  #10 
Just WOW!!!!  Beautiful and great wood choices, I do like mixing the natural with a little bit of dyed pieces.  This is so cool.
Cindy
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #11 
I thought it was good showing the pics as you go and then the last pic, man that's a huge piece. Fantastic.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Tony Blinson

Reply with quote  #12 
Wow, That is woodworking at it's finest! I love the contrasting wood choices. What a nice way to show off your art skills. Keep up the great work!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #13 
I have to say I've looked at these photos many times because it is amazing
Udie

Reply with quote  #14 
hchavezjr - I really enjoy looking at Intarsia work where ever I stumble across it.
Never tried it myself, maybe some day I should give it a shot.
But certainly on something not as intricate as your dragon.

Couple of question:
I zoomed in on your photos and wonder what special tools you use to round over all the pieces?
Drill press or some sort of hand held tool like a Dremel, or maybe all sanding is done by hand.
Do you round over one at a time or in groups?
Is there a backer board to keep the pieces in place?

As I mentioned, I zoomed in and was looking at pieces 'A' the teeth and wonder what you do to stop the pieces from falling thru the throat plate of the scroll saw - any tricks there?

Then I took a close look at a piece labeled 'P0', right by a piece you identified as 'FR72'.
How do you cut something like that and how do you hold it for sanding?

Thanks for posting - quit inspiring!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.