Author   Comment  
blackwolfhollow

Reply with quote  #1 
Trying to hurry up and finish detailing my nephew's Christmas present. 20181222_111309_resized.jpg  20181222_111321_resized.jpg  20181222_111410_resized.jpg  20181222_111442_resized.jpg  20181222_111233_resized.jpg
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
What a masterwork. This is jaw dropping awesome. Please share with us how you did this fantastic work of art.
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #3 

Nice !
Big Yin

Reply with quote  #4 
WOW. Fantastic workmanship. [thumb] 

Ian
blackwolfhollow

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks everyone! My nephew is a 2 year old farm baby, and he loves International tractors and balers. To give you an idea of his obsession, I was baby sitting him over Halloween weekend, and he wanted to see videos of tractors and balers. We proceeded to watch people baling hay on youtube for 6 hours. He finally went to bed at 11:30 p.m. At 5:30 the next morning, the first thing he said was, International tractors and balers. So we watched another 4 hours of hay being baled. His grandpa and dad, my father-in-law and brother-in-law, grow alfalfa in the San Louis Valley in southern Colorado. One of the tractors they use for baling is a 7140 Case International. This is Dylan's favorite tractor. I decided for Christmas this year I would build him an International tractor and baler.

Unfortunately, I had some family things come up, and I have not finished the baler in time, but another couple of weekends should do the trick.

The biggest thing with realistic tractors and construction equipment are the tires. Several years ago, I built a tractor for my father-in-law. Many of you have probably seen this plan online. It usually is listed as "The Farm Tractor" or "The Tractor "B" ". This plan has a fairly elaborate rear wheel design.

These are rather time consuming. The dual rear wheels consist of 128 lugs, 4 right side halves, 4 left side halves, and 4 rims. The front wheels have 48 lugs, 2 right side halves, 2 left side halves, and 2 rims. I will do a write up on the jig you need for these after the holidays.

This tractor uses eyeball scale, meaning I just started cutting wheel blanks to sizes that looked good to me, and then I just started making the rest of the tractor around it. The hood, frame, and interior area are all one piece. The cab sides, rear fenders, roof panel, and fuel tanks round out the exterior. Then it's the little details to tie it together. The seat is one piece, but the console is a little more elaborate. This is because Dylan already know where all the controls are, so I needed to be fairly faithful. Exterior lights add finishing touches, and a piece of brake tubing makes the exhaust. I actually built a 3 point hitch and then glued the rear wheels on before I realized I forgot to put it on. When he breaks the roof off, I'll put it on when I fix it.

I used pictures of my father-in-law's tractor and others from the internet for reference. There are some discrepancies in the design, and I'm sure he will tell me about it, but overall, it is easy to identify as an International tractor.

The baler is a little more complicated because you have to find a happy medium between realistic and practical. I will show some more pictures of it when I get closer to done.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Thanks, Dennis
  7140.jpg  the farm tractor 2.jpg  the farm tractor.jpg 

blackwolfhollow

Reply with quote  #6 
  20181223_080225.jpg  20181223_135818.jpg   
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #7 
That is just awesome, fabulous detail!

Reply with quote  #8 
What an awesome job, very detailed. Can't wait to see the baler finish.

Reply with quote  #9 
Really superb workmanship, and a delight to the eye for both "the young fella" AND the adults in the household.

And thanks for the detailed "how to do it" write up. Excellent toy and excellent post.

Many thanks for taking the time to post.

Happy & Healthy New Year. 

Georgie

Reply with quote  #10 
Very good, do you have a plan to work from?
blackwolfhollow

Reply with quote  #11 
Sorry Georgie, I just used some pictures and made it up along the way.
Georgie

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks, for the feedback, you do an awesome job ?%
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #13 
Everything looks great on this!  The paint work is immaculate, tires are unbelievable, and the level of detail is amazing.  How did you make the knobs on the console?  Are they made from small dowel with a drop of glue on the tip?
blackwolfhollow

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Jason, The levers are made from 8 penny nails bent to shape, cut to size, and then dipped in fast cure epoxy resin to create the knobs. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.