Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I was in two big box stores today comparing materials for toy making. It occurred to me that using clear pine for making toys might actually be cheaper because 100% of the board is usable material. I define usable as no knots or twisty grain that I would cut out an toss in the trash. I used to buy 1x12s and cut out the good parts. There was a lot of waste.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #2 
Well, I'm not sure where you live but rough sawn pine 1 x 12 x 8' is $9.95 where I live and clear pine 1 x 12 x 8' is $35.00. So at 3.5 times the price, you'd better be able to use it all.

BTW: it isn't "cheap construction grade" it is made that way for board and batton siding.....if you cull through it you can usually find ones with very few knots. You have to be there when they bring a lift down.

In addition, talk to the Lumber Manager. If there are some with voids or knots missing, they'll knock them off 50%...that's what I do. I even get some with damaged edges for 20% off....
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
I was comparing the 1x4s they had in the stores I was in. Clear 1x4s were a little more that two times the cost of the construction grade and I estimated that I would be throwing away 20-25% plus the processing time to work around the defects.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #4 
Not sure which stores you were in but if it's Home Depot, check out the rough sawn 1 x 12s.....they are dirt cheap and if you have a planer, worth it.

I generate about a garbage bag of planer shavings a week and sell them for $5.00 each to people who keep chickens, rabbits and such. $25.00 a month is $25.00 a month lol.....

Sorry, were you comparing the 1 x 12s or 1 x 4s? In your opening post you say 1 x 12s then in your last one, 1 x 4s...I'm confused. Plus what do you consider "construction grade"? Knotty Pine D4S?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
The 1x12 I was speaking of was past tense. Way past. As on 30 years ago. Sorry for the confusion.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #6 
Oh ok, gotcha....

As for the comparison, I have found knots even in Home Depot's supposedly "clear" pine so IMHO it isn't worth the cost. I have found really clear pine for the knotty pine price. I think it is hit or miss. If the clear is double the price, and you throw out half the knotty pine, then that equals the same price. But if you have to throw out any of the clear pine, then the cost of the clear pine increases proportionally. Hence why I started buying the rough sawn and planeing it down....I didn't mind messing up a cut or having to throw some away, it was so cheap.

If you can get 6' of pine out of a 1 x 12, that's worth 18' of 1 x 4 clear. Plus it is actually 1" thick so if you need something 7/8" thick, you've got it without laminating pieces together....
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
BadBob - Here's two WTN's (Wood Toy News) articles with accompanying videos that may be of interest to you.
Cutting Thin Strips - basically using your scrap soft and hard wood types or even virgin wood to cut to thicknesses using your table saw using various push block types.
and
Wide Board Glue Jig - Do not own a board thickness planner - not a problem if you use this jig to make large planks to any thickness you require.

Both videos show using common 2x lumber as well as various grades of pine.
Gluing your own planks gives the panel additional strength. The wood will split before it breaks at the glue joints.
It is a quick alternative to using plywood which just might not be available to you in the thickness you required for the project.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
I was back at my local Home Depot today and just to clarify I took these photos.

20150517_164233.jpg  20150517_164249.jpg 
I know they are different lengths, but my money would get spent for the select pine. In thisn case I think it is cheaper.

They had eight foot lengths for both but I got the wrong one and didn't notice until now. Per running foot the price was the same.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #9 
Sure the board foot is the same for 1 x 4 D4S but the price for the 10 ft (to compare apples to apples) is actually 25% less than shown. So the difference between what is being termed "common" and "select" is really $3.12 or 30%. If you can't use 30% of the "common" then you are correct, the price is the same. But honestly, I'd be looking at the 1 x 12 rough sawn if you have a planer......for 85 cents more you're getting a 300% increase in material. Even if you have to throw out half of it, you're still ahead by 150%.....

BTW: you might want to try non-big box lumber stores....quite often they are cheaper on items like this and might even have some offcuts you can get for nothing......
BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
The "White Wood" was full of small knots. There would be lots of waste. All I'm saying is if you are buying you material in a big box store you should look at everything. For example 2x4 studs  were $2.98 ($3.98 for better grade) twice the wood for half the price.

Rough sawn is not readily available in my area.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #11 
Just remember: studs (least where I live) are 99.8% of the time (SPF or Spruce Pine Fir, can be any one of the three) Spruce not Pine. So you're talking another species altogether.

There are three different types of knots too. Tight knots, loose knots (that fall out) and what I call faded knots. Loose knots were where a large branch grew out of the trunk and tend to fall out and are very dark, tight knots are where small branches grew out of the tree and won't come out and faded knots where there really isn't any discernible or definite separation between the trunk and where the branch grew out. I think this is where the branch originated in the trunk.....both of the former can be used with impunity because they can be sanded and paint up just as good as the clear material.
Bostonwindows30

Reply with quote  #12 
What about this wood???

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 37, Size: 78.27 KB 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #13 
You know just to add to this conversation, there is another source of really cheap lumber ( free even)

I visit some of the housing construction sites from time to time and they throw out massive amounts of 2x4 cut offs and even plywood as well as other wood pieces. They have to haul this to the dump and pay to dump this stuff.
They (so far ) have no problem with me fishing out the loose cut offs from the big dumpster.
Just use common sense and wear leather gloves and I use what i call a turtle hook rod to easily pull out all sorts of good pieces of wood.
Some of it has nail's but are easily cut off and disposed of after you get them home.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.