Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
I am ready to cut the antique rocking horse for my grandson's birthday. Would like advise on using a jig saw.

I got a 4x8 sheet of Birch plywood for the body of the rocking horse. The plywood is 3/4" thick and I would like to know if you recommend gluing two together for the 1-1/2" thickness prior to cutting the body out or cutting them separate (giving me 4 pieces), then glue.

Look forward to hearing from ya'll.

Don (Wooddawg)

Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Everybody,

Returned to the plans and as I was restudying them I read about laminating the 3/4" pieces and then cutting them. Don't know how many times I saw that but never read it, guess it was being saved until I needed it.

Sorry to have bothered everyone.

Wooddawg
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
No bother at all, I haven't made the project but would have guessed to laminate the two together before the cut.
toynut

Reply with quote  #4 
Whether gluing up lumber panels or gluing together 3/4 in. ply, using 1 1/2 in. thick material can be a real handful. The steps that I follow in making rockers are #1. to make very smooth & accurate 1/4 in. patterns. (I find it best, at this time, to trim the middle body pattern to match the outer body pattern in the areas where they are to match) #2. Using a jig saw, cut the 3/4 in. ply. pieces oversized then glue together. (If you leave enough of material just outside the pattern you can drill and use alignment dowels to prevent slipping) #3. Using a band saw trim to 1/16 in. outside the pattern. #4. Use a router with a pattern bit & trim to the pattern.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.