Author   Comment  
sbhoward

Reply with quote  #1 

I am currently building the John Deere Tractor with trailer.   I could use some suggestions as to the color anyone else has used for the green.  So far, most of what I have looked at is too green.

I am not above mixing if needed ( looks like a Hunters Green with some Thalo Yellow possibly) but I wondered what others who have built this toy have used for the Jon

Deere Green.

Thanks

dmjones

Reply with quote  #2 
This may be a silly idea but why don't you see if John Deere sells their paint? I know they sell small tractors for kids made of plastic and maybe they sell touch up paint.
Meds853

Reply with quote  #3 
Not sure where you are at, but I have used the true green from Wal-Mart in the craft area. Seems pretty close
sbhoward

Reply with quote  #4 
I'll try at Walmart.  I'm in South Dakota so plenty of Walmarts and Tractor Stores. I did find a John Deere Green Spray but it was designed for metal (John Deere Tractors) and wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $ if it didn't work well on wood.

Thanks for the tips.
Meds853

Reply with quote  #5 
That is what I found too when I went and priced the actual John Deere green. Then we found how you can mix it....... We went with the Wal-Mart paint.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Home Depot. Lowe's or pretty much any paint store can mix paint to match.

Some of the paint companies have phone apps that let you take a photo and pick the color from the photo. I'm skeptical about how good they work but they are their.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Everyone! Home Depot carries a Rust-Oleum Specialty John Deere Farm Equipment spray paint. The store SKU is 494160 at Home Depot. This is the paint we like to use.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Rust-Oleum Specialty John Deere Farm Equipment paint is on the Home Depot website but not inin any stor within a 100 mile radius of my location. That explains why I never saw it. 
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
It's available at our local Home Depot stores. If it's not available at your store you can purchase it online and have it shipped free to your local store for pick up. Or you can buy it on Amazon with free Prime shipping: Rust-Oleum Specialty John Deere Farm Equipment
AES

Reply with quote  #10 
Seems like the "Deere" green problem is solved - for US residents at least.

A while ago when I was making a toy tractor for someone (not specifically a John Deere, but a look alike, to be also "that green", I was using artists acrylic (water-based) paint, and also couldn't find any shade that looked right - too green, just like the OP said.

But my wife (who's the colour "brightest" in our family) mixed up a batch by eye for me. She used blue and yellow (I think!) added to the basic green until I decided it looked right, and sure enough, when finished, it looked OK to my eyes. See below.

Trak 3-C.jpg 

It may not be entirely correct in shade, but the little boy was pleased anyway, and as said, it looked fine to me (though it did NOT pretend to be a real John Deere model, just something I dreamed up).

One point, if mixing colours like this, make sure you mix "more than enough" quantity - if you run out before finishing you'll NEVER get an exact match in the 2nd batch (please DO NOT ask me how I know that)! ;-)

One last point to the OP, provided a primer/filler is used, I cannot see why a paint for metal would not work just as well on a wooden toy.

HTH

BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Color looks good on my monitor  Mixing color s is tricky. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #12 
Not really Bob. We normally use artists acrylics that come in tubes (expensive compared to others here, but very good coverage and lovely and smooth). Just squeeze an amount into a suitable wide plastic container (an old yogurt pot) then get the expert (my wife in this case) to add squeezes from whatever other colours she wants, stirring it all up with an offcut of flat timber stock as you go. It takes several goes with the different yellows and blues until it "looks OK" but then it's done. The only "clever" bit is knowing what colours to use with the base colour, and how much of each to use. As said, my good lady is very clever at hat part, the rest is just making sure it's all well mixed up to the even final colour, and then thinning it enough (water) for spraying (or just thinning a little if brushing).

The tractor in the picture was mainly airbrushed but also hand brushed too.

HTH

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.