Author   Comment  
TommyT

Reply with quote  #1 
I used Walnut, Cherry, Aspen and Poplar wood to make this Kenworth 18 Wheeler Semi Truck & Trailer.
Thanks for Looking!
Tommy T

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: DSCN4061.jpg, Views: 99, Size: 44.11 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSCN4066.jpg, Views: 98, Size: 46.57 KB 

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
TommyT
   Nice use of woods.  When I did mine I just used the same wood through out, but I like the looks of yours.
Good Job.
   When you close the tail gate, do you have trouble getting it back out again.
Mine was so tight I had to cut a window in the gate to get my finger in to open.
Was wondering how you did yours.
   I think you have been holding out on us.
You are a good builder, and we want to see more from you.
Thanks for sharing.

TommyT

Reply with quote  #3 
Ken, thanks for your comments.
   Yes, I did have a little problem with the tailgate being difficult to open and close.  I simply brushed on a few coats of Johnson Paste Wax and that helped to make it easy to open and close.  
   Also, I had to shorten the peg that goes into the hole for the trailer hitch.  At full size the peg was to long and lifted the trucks front off the ground a few inches.  I trimmed the dowel down and that took care of that problem.
   I've made a lot of the plans from this site, but or some reason I just found this forum...LOL
Thanks,
Tommy T

Reply with quote  #4 
Nice work TommyT. Is there a disadvantage to using MDF for this project?
Douglas

Reply with quote  #5 
If you love wood as I do ,then hardwood is the way to go ,for a superior looking model with a fantastic result . If you are going to paint it though ,you may as well use a cheap softwood or mdf . It is a waste of a good looking piece of hardwood to cover it with paint . Nice job Tommy   !!!!![thumb]
TommyT

Reply with quote  #6 
For me, there are a few reasons I don't like to use MDF (although I do on occasion)
   First, the end grain is difficult to paint.  I find that if you mix a slurry of Titebound III glue and some water and brush it on the end cut it will seal it and paint then can be applied.
   Second, it creates a lot of fine dust.
   Third, I can't get 1/4" MDF anywhere near me and I don't have the equipment to rip or plane it to a thinner size.
   I do like the look of the hardwoods.  I seem to use mostly Walnut and Cherry wood on my projects.
Thanks all for your kind words!
Tommy T

Reply with quote  #7 
Beautiful wood use on the truck and trailer and a nice polish job on the table.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Udie

Reply with quote  #8 
Tommy T - Another outstanding project you have posted. Love the colours of the wood. Thanks for posting.
   1/4" MDF is getting a little hard to find, sometimes the big box stores label it as MDF when is really some kind of offshoot of hardboard.
   Take a look if there is a saw mill around you, I just might be worth your while to grab a coffee, hit the road and visit one. You will see a big difference in sheet good prices and board lumber prices of pine, maple, cherry, etc.
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #9 
Great Job!
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.