Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Peter V

Reply with quote  #16 

Hello folks,

Willem, a maybe impolite question but what are the prices you ask for your toys?

I just once tried to sell some toys on a market (puzzles and cars for about € 10-15) but there was no-one  even interested to look at the items I got for sale, they didn´t even look.
Just 1 kid played with one of the toys but he was drawn away by his mother. 

From that moment on, I am wondering whether I overasked????

Reply with quote  #17 
Peter V, if you send me your emailadress I can email you some of my previous catalogus then you will get a better glue.
Greetings
Willem
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #18 
It is doubtful that you asked too much. There are many variables from show to show and a lot of luck is involved. One of our forum members Sherman  Garcia, now deceased, was in love with the Animal Cracker Ark and matching storage box and built 2 of them. He was a furniture craftsman and these were his first toys and he took both of them to his first local crafts show. He spent all day Saturday standing at his booth with folks just passing by and giving him a glance.

One of the ark sets was highly finished with various stains and a perfect semi-gloss clear coat on all the pieces. The other set was natural woods with no finish added and finely sanded.

After a 12 hour day and at the end of the show he decided to pack up and leave. There were still a few customers wandering around. A young woman saw him preparing to go and ran up to his booth. She frantically asked if the clear-coat ark set was sold and was thrilled to hear it was still available. He had a $350 price tag on the set. She handed him a check for the full amount thanking him over and over for making such a beautiful Noah's Ark.

The whole time they were talking together another young woman stood slightly away from them listening to every word of the conversation. She finally interrupted and asked if the unfinished ark was taken. It had a $180 price tag on it. She was so excited when she heard it wasn't sold that she immediately wrote him a check for $180.

There are many stories like this from my experience, too. You just never know. It is a mix of talent, luck and timing. Patience and effort finally pays off.
Willem

Reply with quote  #19 
It also depends where one is situated. I for instance live in a town called Newcastle. Here is no craftmarkets, so I depend on selling my toys on facebook to various groups that I belong to. The problem with this is that the courier cost, which the buyer must pay, are also a contributing factor to the price of the toy. 
It also depends on in what state is the economy of the country, we are for instance downgraded to junkstatus by Moodys and 2 other companies. 
I will as soon as I have a chance put some pictures of my previous toys which I build as well as what I was charging for it.
Greetings
Willem Heydenrych
BadBob

Reply with quote  #20 
There are a tremendous number of factors that go into selling. I only sell online because the start-up cost is so high to sell at shows. You have booth fees, travel expenses, equipment, and other charges, plus you need stock. I know people that go to shows that will not go with less than 200 items to sell.

While selling online, I only need to make one of each item. I can photograph it and create the listing, do all the promotion, and I'm done. If an item sells, I make two more. If those sell, I make four.

I have a worldwide customer base. Sunday, I sold a toy to someone in England and shipped it to Coral Gables, Florida, for example.

Finding the right price can be a challenge. To low and they might think its junk to high, and you could price yourself out of the market. People equate price with quality even though the price has nothing to do with the condition.

Another interesting thing about pricing is that if you sell to low, you might work yourself to death and lose money. While someone selling at higher prices will sell less work less and make a profit. So, don't underprice your work.   

I'm in the top 20% of sellers on Etsy (barely), and I don't currently make a profit yet.

Selling is hard work. I don't care what anyone tells you.

Do your homework...

Some videos that may help.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Justgoober72

Reply with quote  #21 
Hi Willem
what an awsome job, 
the Kenworth lowboy and loader is my next project, and you have given me some great ideas,
well done
cheers  Andy
Peter V

Reply with quote  #22 

Hello folks,

here a icture of the jaarmarkt 2019 with my stuff. Paid, togehter wiht my neighbour € 25 euro´s for the stand. 09.00 - 17.00. He sold insect-hotels. All sold.
Me nothing.

Willem: my e-mail-address is: plverhulst@kpnmail.nl

John, is it an idea to place our email-addresses at the profile?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: Jaarmarkt 20.08.2019 nr 1.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 99.07 KB 

Martin L

Reply with quote  #23 
The market that I sell at is a great little market and I have found that one needs a mix of different toys and prices. I have a mix of toys from $5.00 to $150.00 and in the lead up to Christmas more often than not it is the more expensive ones that sell.

john lewman

Reply with quote  #24 
Your email can be here and on your profile.
Bodacious2

Reply with quote  #25 
Looks amazing. Great Job
john lewman

Reply with quote  #26 
And i love your toys! Could you insert some big photos of the individual toys on the Forum? We would love to see them. And the bigger the better. We have unlimited storage on the Forum.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.