Author   Comment  
Frankg

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I'm in a summer camp program to help teach kids about art projects. This is for a church summer camp program for a week in August. 

There are 125 kids throughout the day for a week. This entails a project that could last for approx. 1 week to build. (actually 4 1/2 days)

The age range of the kids (boys and girls) is 3rd grade (8years old)  thru 5th grade (11years old).

Each child would have their own toy to build. Making it 125 toys.

I've already had them make a birdhouse 2 years ago and a small planter box last year. I thought a nice toy to make this year would be fun.

We always predrill the nail holes so it's easier for them to put the project together. They nail and glue the pre-cut wood patterns. Then paint it.

I'm humbly seeking suggestions for a simple toy for these kids to build and the cost must be keep low. 
To start with, I've thought of a simple dump truck about 12 inches long for general sizing.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated. Any other ideas besides toys is also welcome.

Thanks in advance,
God bless!
Frank

Reply with quote  #2 
Assuming you're going to cut the pieces for them and they are going to do the assembly and painting.

• Play Pals
Play Pals simple, cheap to build, require no hardware, and there are five different toys in the set.

Building toys is much different than building boxes. the more parts the more difficult it gets. Moving parts can be tricky. I would avoid nails and other metal parts for toys. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Trav

Reply with quote  #3 

That might be tricky. Four and a half days, eh? If the project is too simple you won't be able to fill your time up. Assuming 1 day for painting, and maybe the half day for stragglers, you basically want maybe a 3 day build. How many hours are in each day? They're probably only spending a couple hours a day with you, no?

Personally, for the sake of speed and efficiency, I would chose a build that was all squares and rectangles that are glued together. Any windows can be done with the drill press and the rectangles can all be done on the tablesaw with a crosscut sled. That'll make you're life easier for all the precutting. 125 kids is a lot of precutting.
With those numbers in mind, I would avoid using the scroll saw as much as possible. Even the simples shape on a scroll saw done 125 times is probably going to be a very unpleasant experience.

The trucks on the covers of these two books are probably where I'd aim for style. I think the trucks in the first book hit the size you want. There are six trucks in the pdf. I wonder if one of them would be good.

https://www.toymakingplans.com/website/BigWoodTrucks/BigWoodTrucks.html

https://www.toymakingplans.com/website/CarsTrucks/CarsTrucksNewBook.html

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Excellent advice Trav and BadBob. And the best of luck to you Frankg!
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #5 
simple train that I made would do the job. Although I don't envy you cutting 500 wheels the way I did! painting could be cut down by only using one colour. coulorful train2.jpg 
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #6 
kit build train.jpg 
Frankg

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the idea Bourbon!
I’ve decided to have the kids make a windmill that really spins with battery powered motor. Yes 125 each!!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 5C66C134-2CD6-409B-832C-3D0AAF4D4780.jpeg, Views: 12, Size: 221.69 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.