Author   Comment  
xihunter

Reply with quote  #1 
I sprayed this over 2 coats of primer and three coats of paint (all Krylon brand) and most of the coat ended up cloudy after it was dry. Where the clear coat was not cloudy, it shined brightly, but the cloudy areas either stayed cloudy or were dull after rubbing with a rag after 24 hours. Any idea on what is/was wrong?
Thanks for any input!
Michael
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi xihunter
   I have gotten that a number of times, and I think it is because I put it on too thick.  This spray comes out in a very fine misty spray and is really easy to over spray.
   I have gotten that cloudy look late in the day sometimes, when maybe the temp or humidity was not right.
   When it happens to me I have been able to light sand or buff with a buffing pad and respray.  I have not lost a project yet because of it, but it is frustrating when it happens.
   Even though the can says to "Apply A Full Wet Coat"  it is easy to over spray.
Follow each coat within a minute or two.
   The first time I saw the cloudy I panicked and resprayed right away, that is not good.  Let it sit for 25 or 30 minutes then try again.
Sorry I don't have a really great answer for you.
The Krylon Triple=Thick Crystal Clear Glaze does leave a really nice finish when it works right.
Keep working with it.

Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
xihunter (Michael)
   Clouding, I have been told it has a lot to do with temperature and humidity, similar to what Ken has mentioned. Your coating may be dry to the touch but the chemical make up has not had sufficient time to properly cure. Even as you have pointed out, that after a day or so it's still there. The uncured first coat can react to the second coat where you have introduced or stimulated the chemical drying agents again.
   Here's an idea, Krylon has a great web site where you can contact them with your observations and product use questions.
Why not use this service, describe their products you used and your results. Attaching photos will really help them also. [comp]
   Then, share their response with us. This kind of information really supports the purpose of this Forum.
Thanks for the original post on this topic.[thumb]
xihunter

Reply with quote  #4 
   Thanks for the information.  It has gotten my brain going of what might have gone wrong and/or right.  I will take the advice and contact Krylon later this week, and share their response.
Thanks again!
xihunter

Reply with quote  #5 
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this, but, hey life happens....
Here is what Krylon had to say about the cloudiness:

"Thank you for contacting Krylon. We appreciate your inquiry.
   Typically when you get a haze after applying a clear coat over a paint, it's some type of moisture or solvent entrapment that is causing blushing. This can be because of high humidity, or in many cases may be due to the fact that the paint did not cure enough prior to applying the clear coat. Does the surface feel sandy or rough?
   To remedy the situation, thin additional coats of the clear would need to be applied to reopen the finish, allowing the moisture to evaporate out & dry clear.
NOTE: Make sure humidity is back around 50% when recoating with the lacquer sprays"
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the follow Michael
That is good info.
   I do not live in a humid environment, so I think my problem comes from adding the Clear triple coat to soon.
   I have learned that the way to tell when a paint is cured is to smell it.  If you can smell the paint it is not cured completely.  The painted toy is safe to handle when dry to the touch,but not safe to eat until you can no longer smell it  Then it is fully cured.
I think I must remember to wait longer before starting with the Clear Triple Coats.
Thanks for checking for us all.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.