Author   Comment  
kenbod

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,  
Does any one find that certain light colours seem to lack obliterating pigments. I find that yellow to be the biggest culprit. Have tried various brands ie Plastikote. Wilko brand and Painters Touch. These all being water based acrylics or enamels. It even seems that all water based products do not cover as well as the solvents. Any comments welcome

Reply with quote  #2 
I think its more the colorant that is used in the paint. I have water based acrylics that cover very well but a different color of the same brand will not.

Yellow is always a problem in any type of paint I have ever used. We used to paint cars with a banana yellow paint that would take ten to fifteen coats over a base coat of white. For yellow I would use a white primer or a white base coat.

Some paints require a base coat. I good example of this is candy colors such as candy apple red. It's almost clear and is usually applied over a metalic silver or gold base.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi - there are various extenders used in paint, some hide better than others.  Udie's and everyone's kryptonite is Yellow.  "General"  sells a white that is almost pure TIO2 (titanium dioxide), super thick.  TIO2 is very good for the high hide effect.  I realize when you add white it will change the color so you will need to pick a darker shade of yellow and use the white.  Obviously a lot of testing.

Another thing that I have done is buy lots of the same tiny craft bottles of the almost the same color and put them on a test board.  There are those that a formulated differently and definitely hide better. 

Hope this helps some.
Cindy
kenbod

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the replies, Yellow is the biggest culprit. I will try mixing it with one of my high opacity whites to see if it makes a difference. Being in UK we do not get a big choice of brands and prices can vary cosiderably between brands. Once again thanks

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.