Author   Comment  
rdredge

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!  I want to, as you call it laminate two pieces of 3/4 wood together to get my 1 1/2 wood for cars.  How do I do this?  Is it just gluing and clamping them together?  Thanks for your help.
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
rdredge - Yes sir - that all there is to it.
Sounds simple but the process does have some quirks to it.
Sometimes when clamping the boards one board may move on you as you apply clamping pressure.
To help reduce this, put the two boards together and slide one back and forth on the other, by doing this you are spreading the glue more evenly in the glue joint. You will start to feel some resistance making it harder to move one of the boards, that's the time to stop and start clamping.
I find it a good practice to cut my boards a little larger than the finished size you want.
After the glue cures, I then trim the laminated board to the final size required.
   Now that being said - board alignment may not always be a critical issue - if you are laminating a couple of piece of wood together, as you mentioned for cars, and are then going to cut them out on the scroll saw for example.
   Take a look at my Freaky Ford Coupe WTN (Wood Toy News) and video.
At time marker 14:30 you can see that I glued two (2) pieces of MDF together without any concern about board shifting. I then used the band saw to cut the rough outline and then used the router and a template to finalize the profile.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Looking forward to hearing how you made out.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
rdredge
   Udie gave you some good tips above.
Another thing that helps hold two pieces of wood together when laminating two boards together is to sprinkle just a pinch of fine grained salt on the wood after spreading the glue on.
This will help hold the two pieces of wood together with out so much movement.

pdaunno

Reply with quote  #4 
If your stock isn't flat you will end up with some gaps in your lamination.  If you have a jointer you could flatten the face first then glue together.  Unless you are trying to use 3/4 scrap up you could consider buying some 2-by-x which will give you the 1-1/2 you are looking for without the need to laminate.

Reply with quote  #5 
I tried the salt trick after seeing it in a video and I ended up with a gap in my pieces....I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

If you're not going to plane the pieces afterwards you can shoot a couple of 18 ga. brads into it to hold it together at the far corners. I have a 23 ga pin nailer that I use for this. they are so small they are invisible. I also use the 23 ga when assembling parts.....

Funny story about 23 ga. I bought packages of 1/4" 1/2" 3/4 and 1" about 7 years ago. They came in about 45,000 piece packs....a lifetime supply! When I was buying them the guy behind the counter handed me a bag, I said "no thanks" being environmentally friendly...he said No, put em in the bag. Seems about a month before me a guy who owned a big production shop came in and bought about 5 boxes of each size....200,000 nails per size.....as he walked out the front door someone bumped into him and he dropped the boxes....and they shattered spreading the pins all over the sidewalk all mixed in together. He turned around and had to buy another 5 boxes of each because there was no way he could sort them out.....

So now even if you buy just ONE box, they give it to you in a bag lol....can you imagine?
banderson

Reply with quote  #6 
Udie made some great suggestions.  I find it easier to just oversize the parts and cut to size after drying.  I purposely leave one edge (if laminating more than 2 pieces) 1/8" to one side of the rest to give me a nice straight edge.  The other suggestion is to use a brush or wood wedge to spread out the glue.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #7 
   I always keep a stock of thin strips just for this purpose....one thing I thought to try, if you've ever done tiling you know you have to have a notched trowel so you spread x amount of mastic. Then when you press the tile down you don't have TOO much mastic on the floor. If you life the tile you'll see a perfectly even covering of adhesive. I thought: if I used a strip with notches in it, would the glue flatten when you press them together and therefore have very little movement? I'll have to try it sometime.....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.