Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been looking into laser engravers. I've been getting requests from customers for personalized toys.

Then I watched a video presented by a woodworker who uses his to cut patterns in hardboard. It occurred to me that cutting patterns from labels or sheets of paper would not require much of a laser. Precisely cut patterns would be a useful time-saver for me.

They are expensive and take up a lot of room, but the value added from just being able to personalize items I sell might be worth it. The big Etsy sellers offer custom engraving on their toys for a premium.

Laser cutters are pretty much the same thing as CNC routers, but they use lasers instead of routers to do the cutting.

Do any of you have a laser engraver?

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
There is som interesting infomation here but mostly talking about expensive lasers as in thousands of dollars but still well worth watching. You can get a 40W glass tube laser for as little as $300.  

CO2 Lasers For The Home Shop by Ralph Thorn

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #3 
I've wondered about this myself. Laser engraved pieces do look very professional. It could also be used to add a maker's mark or brand.

I do a lot of personalised items, all hand painted. The smaller the work, the more my hands shake, and the harder it is to get a precise, fine line, so it's not always practical. Also, personalisation is usually the last thing I do...if I mess it up, it's back to square one. Perhaps I should start personalising items before I cut the pieces out!!

Reply with quote  #4 
I have the Shapeoko3 CNC and you can get lasers to fit on them so two in one just a thought. [thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.