Author   Comment  
Douglas

Reply with quote  #1 
Did this for a bit of fun really . The finish is not as good as the original though . It is too cold to spray here , I will be glad when it is summer . Douglas S1440003.JPG 
TommyT

Reply with quote  #2 
I like that little guy!!

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Tommy . He has a blank expression though .....a bit like me . [smile]
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice Douglas, after having made the car myself I'd say you did real well. Holes done correctly and a great job of turning lead me to say very nice.
Douglas

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Bucko I appreciate the compliment . [smile]
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #6 
Looks real good 
   A lathe is a tool on my wish list.  It would be hard to spend the time to learn how to use it however.
To many things to build as it is, and not enough daylight each day.
   Like you will be so glad for summer, and the longer days, because my shop is outdoors most of the time.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Ken . a lathe gives you so much more scope to do all sorts of things , it doesn't take long to learn the basics . The rest comes with practice . Once you have mastered the technique of using the tools ,you can do most things .
Udie

Reply with quote  #8 
Douglas - This racer looks great also.
So, what's the build method - drill holes for the exhaust pipes, axles and driver and then lath to the profile or drill after making the profile
Did you use any special jigs for the hole locations and angles?
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #9 
Very nice Douglas!  I don't own a lathe so I haven't tried to make one.  I think that tool will be a retirement gift to myself when the time comes [biggrin]

Reply with quote  #10 

Very nice Douglas,I would like to make this. And when I see the one that Bucko had made I did think about trying to make But you need a lathe.  I'm bit like Ken, A lathe is a tool on my wish list too.

Ceefa

Reply with quote  #11 
I love that job Douglas and the finish doesn't look too bad to me. Yes a lathe is on my wish list too, mainly for toy making as bowls and wood turning as such doesn't spin my wheels at all. i would use it to make wheels...lol
Douglas

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks for the positive feedback guys . The lathe was my retirement gift to myself . I taught myself to use it with books and utube demos .  I started 14mnths ago , so it doesn't take long to get proficient at most things to do with the lathe . Start with a cheap one like I did ,then if you think you can take to it ,get a more professional one . The cheap ones are good enough for toymaking as a hobby ,I think . It is cheaper to buy wheels than making them , unless they are "off book" for a special design toy /model . Douglas
Douglas

Reply with quote  #13 
Hello Udie , in answer to you question about the racing car . You are spot on ....start with a square block of wood and drill all the holes first . To get the angle for the exhaust pipes you can either cut a wedge on a chopsaw to the correct angle , sit the block of wood on top of the wedge and drill the holes on your drill press . Or....you can do as I did ,and angle the table of my drill press to drill the holes . Because the block of wood is square it is easy to get the angles correct and in line ., if you profile the wood first on the lathe ,it would be very difficult to get the angles right and everything lined up correctly . i.e. exhausts, driver ,wheel axles . Douglas
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.