Author   Comment  
jmattsson

Reply with quote  #1 
I stumbled on to toymakingplans.com through Pinrest, and in a short time I have bought 12 sets of plans.  This is also my chance to thank Mr. Lewman for making his plans available to us all. I have made 2 Woodys with teardrop trailers, 2 1950 vintage cars with trailers, 5 sets of Play Pals, and 2 complete mini-construction sets, 20 Freaky Fords, and 20 hot rods.  All have sold.  Currently, I am making 2 sets of the pickup truck with horse trailer.  Both are already sold as Christmas presents.  Again, thank you, Mr Lewman.
I'm writing with a suggestion about the plans.  Many of the plans call for left & side doors, fenders, etc, but the plans are only provided for one side.  Most of the time, it's not an issue; however, as in the case of the horse trailer, there are specific places for dowels which can not be placed exactly by just flipping the plan over.  I would like to suggest the plans come with left and right side plans if possible.  If others have found a workaround to this problem, I'd like to hear your solutions.  
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi jmattsson,

Thanks for your post. I'm assuming you're talking about the 1950 Pickup and Pony Trailer. If you're referring to a different toy plan please let me know. On The 1950 Pickup the door should be identical on both sides of the truck.

Our goal with every plan set is for all patterns to be included in the plan set especially if the left and right side patterns need to be different. Only if a pattern is identical would we not include both a right side and left side pattern.

Since that toy has been built hundreds of times and this is the first time I've heard someone is having problems with the patterns can you please describe the trouble you're having in better detail so we can best address the problems you're having?

Thanks!
Cynthia
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #3 
Cynthia-

I have suggested this before as well.  For instance in the X-wing Transport Item 4 and 7 (see attachment below) when drilling a pivot hole for axle pegs you only have the location for only one side and we have to do some good measuring to get the other side correct. If you could include the other side view location it would save time and accuracy.

And it wouldn't hurt to extend the center line through the dashed line representing the drilled hole.

Thanks for listening.
Item4&7.JPG

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
jmattsson

Reply with quote  #4 
that's the reply. I was referring to the horse trailer plans that come with the pickup truck. The plans provide only one side of the trailer with indications where one needs to drill for dowels for the roof and pins to position the ramps. Since only one side of the trailer plan is provided one has to flip the plan over to get the opposing side thereby obscuring the dowel points. The position of these dowels is critical to ensure the roof and ramps open smoothly. Since I build the toys for children, I want them to work flawlessly.
The issue with one-sided plans also comes into play for doors. I know one can cut two doors using the same pattern and flip the door around, but I usually cut the doors out of plywood which has a good side and a not-quite-as-good side. In order to ensure I get the the good side showing for both sides, I need to put the pattern on the not-quite-as-good side so that when I cut out the pattern I have good side showing. It's complicated and could be easier if we had right and left sides of patterns provided. Please read this as just a suggestion and not criticism. Your patterns and subject matter are the best I've found anywhere. I
Jim
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #5 
It appears to me the hole is in the same place. simply make two copies and put one on each. I make templates. 

Reply with quote  #6 
I think I am missing something here if both sides are identical apart from being reversed why cant you just print a normal copy and then a mirror copy therefore giving you a left and right. Or as above make a template and just flip it over to get a reverse copy.
i am building a half track at present and there are many parts where a left and right are required some of these have a more complicated shape than those you appear to be talking about and the method I have suggested works for me as well as the template method.
I can understand if opposite parts are different and as Cynthia says they will then print both

Reply with quote  #7 
I do make 2 copies of the same page to do that very thing, but it would be easer to just have both side views on the plan.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
I think I understand what you're asking. James would like 2 patterns mirrored for left and right because he's using one-sided plywood. Bill would like to see two end views for symmetrical parts so he can use the end view as a drilling pattern if the holes aren't centered. That's good feedback. I talked to John and he said we can incorporate those changes moving forward. Thank you!
Rod T

Reply with quote  #9 
I think this is what you want.

The second page of the attached file is reversed. All the text is reversed of course, but the plan is what you are after. 

pdf Page 39.pdf     

Cheers
Rod T

jmattsson

Reply with quote  #10 
Rod-T, thanks much for the mirror image.  What did you use to create this?  There are several patterns where I would like to use mirror images for better accuracy.  This is helpful. 
Thanks again.
Cynthia, thanks for your replies.  Having both left & right patterns will make it easier for me, but I still don't think I've explained my problem well enough yet.  Perhaps because I don't see how just flipping the pattern over fixes my problem.  If I flip the pattern over, all the printing is obscured because I can't see through the paper.  Cutting the same pattern twice and then using the other side of the cut pattern (flipping the wood around)  still doesn't allow me to use the points where dowels are to be drilled.  The horse trailer, for example, calls for 1/8" deep holes drilled on the inside of the trailer side (the hole doesn't go all the way through.  Since I need to see the pattern to accurately place the location of the hole, I need a left and right pattern.  I hope this a better explanation of what I perceive the issue to be.  Thanks for your patience.  If you are aware of way to print a "mirror copy" as mentioned by others, I'd like to know how this is done.
Dalboy, thanks for the reply.  I don't know how to make a the "mirror copy" to which you refer.  Where does one go to make the mirror copy?  Is this special software, or a printer function?
Thanks to all who replied and made suggestions.
Jim
Rod T

Reply with quote  #11 
I placed that page into Adobe Indesign, flipped it horizontally and re-exported as a PDF.

I do the same with pages that have a piece that extends over 2 pages. I lay the 2 pages over each other, line up with those little diamonds and then re-export as a PDF. So I can print as 1 piece rather than 2 that need to be stuck on the wood separately. 

If the file is locked (Which they usually are) then I print out the page, scan it in with a scanner and then work with that file. 

There is probably other software that can do this.
I couldn't find any way to do it in the print driver.

Cheers
Rod T

Rod T

Reply with quote  #12 
I just found how to do it in the print driver. 

On a Mac, select Print and then in the Printer settings area navigate to Page Layout.
There is a checkbox at the bottom that says Flip Horizontally. Tick this box and the print will come out as a mirror image. 

Not sure about Windows, but I assume it will be something similar.

Cheers
Rod T
BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
The plans are images in a pdf wrapper. I extract the images and after that most any graphics software will let you do this. I use Gimp and Inkscape. Gimp will bring up a list of pages for you to choose from and you don't need the extraction process. I use Inkscape if I want to resize the pattern or put multiples on a page.

Shortstack

Reply with quote  #14 
Windows Paint has the "Flip" option under the "Rotate" button on it's tool bar.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.