Author   Comment  
AJ

Reply with quote  #1 
I just replaced all my Fluro tubes in the shed with LED tubes, Easy job just replace the starter with the ones supplied with the Led tube.
Like a bright sunny day in my shed now.
Cost a few dollars but worth every cent
Andrew

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Great idea. I am going to try it.
kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Harbor freight has a parking lot sale august 6-8 coming up with overhead LED shoplights on sale $19 normally $29 i believe. Also If you have the old overhead light boxes as I had one Walmart sells LED replacement tubes for them at $7 a pair. So you can update those old fluorescent tubes rather cheaply. 
jlcrafter

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the info. Very useful.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #5 
Excellent idea

AJ, you will also eventually recover the initial cost from the saved electricity, so Win-Win.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I have been replacing all my lighting with LEDs for a couple of years. They are not all the same. If you want the best light colors, you want 5000K lights or higher. Also known as daylight. I prefer 6500K if I can get them, but they are hard to find.  5000K is the color temperature.

Ignore anything on the package the refers to watts. Watts is how much power a light uses and has little to do with the color of the light or how bright they are. Lumens tell you how much light they put out.

For screw-in standard (US) bulb replacements, I use GE Lighting 63869 LED Brightstik. $16.29 for two on Amazon.
  • 5000K Daylight Color Temperature
  • Provides 1600-lumens of light output
  • The cylindrical shape fits in place of a traditional incandescent bulb, including some sockets where a traditional bulb or CFL doesn’t fit including the internally mounted drill press light.
I have been using halogen bulbs in my house for years. If I replace a halogen bulb in a room with a Brightstik LED, the halogen bulbs appear dark and yellow, where they looked white before.

I have not changed any of my overhead tube type fluorescents out yet because I switched from 8-foot T12 tubes to T8s a few years ago and when I did the math it didn't make economic sense to change unless I could get a lot more light. The bulbs were just too cheap and the fixtures and surface mounted on a 10-foot ceiling. If I need to pull one down to replace a ballast, I'll probably replace the whole fixture.

I looked at the Harbor freight lights in my local store and could find no mention of color temperature or lumens on the box. 

If you are handy with a soldering iron and don't mind trying to figure out the Chinese color codes, the LED floodlights work well. I have these in several places. They are designed to go outside and wired into the house wiring. They do did not come with cords or plugs. They are waterproof. At least the ones I have are. I dropped one into an aquarium while it was on. It just kept right on burning underwater. 

A 4-foot t5 fluorescent fixture with two daylight bulbs should put out around 5000 lumens.  You can get 8000 or more lumens with a better, more expensive bulb.  Lots of LED "shop lights" will not get anywhere near this amount of light.  I have seen LED fixtures the output 52,000 lumens. All the lights in my shop would not come anywhere near 52,000 lumens.

LED Lighting changes fast, so if you wait six months, you will need to do your research again.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
20190729_203218.jpg  20190729_203223.jpg  20190729_203227.jpg  20190729_203250.jpg The first pic is of my regular flourescent shop light fixture with the Great Value Walmart brand LED replacement tubes...they say 5000k with 1850 lumens...the other two stand alone lights are the light fixture from harbor freight....in person they look brighter than the dual light fixture. The replacement bulbs were $7.88 plus tax at walmart and work great for me. The single light fixtures were either $24 or $29 at harbor freight but thats with the fixture. 
john lewman

Reply with quote  #8 
Enjoyed seeing your post. Very helpful with text and photos.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #9 
You really sweat the details which makes your posts really special Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.