Author   Comment  
AHMED

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi everyone ,

I am Ahmed from EGYPT , I am an Aircraft engineer , i am willing to establish a small workshop to make wooden toys  ( cars , trucks , air-crafts..ect )

the models are supposed to be small and medium ( from 5 to 12 inch ) and it should not contain to much details

I just need to know what ( type , model , dimension ) of the ( scroll saw , the band saw , the sander , drill press and also the recommended dimension of the blades used )

I know that these details may vary from user to another but i just need your recommendations

thanks allot in advance for your help [smile]

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
If I remember right a good while back John was setting up such a shop to show how items of which you mentioned could be made. Maybe there’s a past thread on that Shop setup ?
Peter V

Reply with quote  #3 

Hello Ahmed,

welcome to the CLUB.

In my opinion, there are some more things to consider, such as:

- are the toys meant to be played with

- do you want to make those toys as ´production´ 

If that is the case, you should look for more professional equipment (as example: Hegner scrollsaw) but these are expensive. On the other hand, when you have (a lot or more) time to saw, a less ´accurate´ scrollsaw will do the job also, but you have to be (much) more patient.

A drillpres with lasercross, such as a Bosch PDB40 (which I have since recently) is a very good piece of equipment. But on the old drillpress, it worked also, but, as I said, with greater changes on mistakes (speccially with drilling axle holes).

Furhtermore it is also a ´building up´and ´growing into´ development. 

Personally I would not go for the cheapest items but also, certainly not start with the most expensive ones.   

If you have more questions, do ask.  

Peter V
AHMED

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi everyone
Thanks for all of you for your advice and your recommendations

I just have one more question
The scroll saw come with many different measures (11" /12" /14" ....ect )
I have to choose depending on what ?
And as I mentioned , my models dimensions between ( 5 to 12 inch )
Thanks again
Peter V

Reply with quote  #5 

hello Ahmed,

the inches you mention (11", 12", 14" ... etc.), are these regarding the (total) hight of the scrollsaw-machine?

DEWALT Scroll Saw, Variable-Speed, 1.3 Amp, 20-Inch (DW788)

Item Dimensions L x W x H29.5 x 19.5 x 12.1 inches

Peter V
AHMED

Reply with quote  #6 
thanks allot peter ..you cleared my confusion
Hambone

Reply with quote  #7 
Ahmed, due to a move I had to downsize equipment for my work, mainly toys and small items done on the scroll saw (a Dewalt like yours). I don't have a table saw anymore and and am not comfortable with a band saw which I will sell.  At age 87, safety also was considered. What's left?  Scroll saw, belt and spindle sanders, a drill press, and a Dremel tool.  Nothing fancy, just simple work.  Wish I had started this hobby earlier but did not know about scrolling.  Good luck"

Hambone

Hambone
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello Ahmed,  I am a full time hobby toymaker.  ( not sure if that makes sense ha!)  keeps me out of the house and in the garage.  I make a lot of toys and do attend several craft shows during the year.  I make all toys in the 10" to 14" size.  I do think this is the best size for "play".  I use white pine 2 x 4's and 2" x 6's.  Some hardwoods lately.  My most expensive toy is a circus train I sell for $ 50 and other trains for $ 40   Cars, trucks, heli etc in the $ 8 - $ 12 range.  I have found that people buying toys at festivals are not willing to spend the money for toys that would equate the time and attention given in making them.  So, I need a source of purchasing to not have a garage full of toys.  (Ha!)  I apply all my toys with a safe toy oil or the bee's wax recommended by John and Cyntha. 

My shop is only 7' x 15' .  An OK size for making just toys.  I would recommend the following tools.  I use everyone of them everyday.  Radial or chop (miter) saw.  Table saw, drill press, band saw, router, table mounted, 1" small belt sander, spindle sander (or dremel tool with round sanding disc), and most impt**  6" table top horizional sander (came with a stand - took off and put on table).  Also need small hand drill for drilling holes for headlights etc.  Try to mix various color woods to give toys a special look (enclosed some examples)  Most importand ! set up a dust removal system.  Try to design shop layout with dust removal system before you start making toys.  I used simple method of collecting at source.  Vac-cyclone-long 2 1/1" hose and plug into each tool or front connector.  I purchased unpainted cabinets from box store before buying equipment for layout  This gave me table top for tools and lower cabinetry for storage.  When I started I set up my shop with everything new for under $3000.  Have replaced several tools over the 10 years I have been doing this.  

Hope this information will be helpful   try: Woodwoking/workshop-layouts.pdf

IMG_3146.jpg  IMG_4825.jpg

AHMED

Reply with quote  #9 
Sorry for replying too late
I've read your notes .. thank you so much for sharing your experience ..it was truly helpful
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.