Author   Comment  
StewRat

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm starting on the father/son ark, and I've got 2 of them to make, so I thought it would be a good plan to make templates for the various components that are x4 per ark and route them on a router table.

The router/table in question I bought last year for a project and ended up not using it, so looking at it this evening for the first time in detail, I'm struck that the top of the collet sits about 20mm below the level of the table (with the router fully "plunged" upside down) so to cut material 20mm thick, plus template on top, I'm going to need a flush trim bit significantly longer than anything I currently have.

Is that common, or a "feature" of the relatively inexpensive router/table I have? 

Typing this in the office I'm already wondering if I set this up right and that I need to check in the workshop in the morning. Feels like that gap would make lots of bits unusable. Maybe I've got something stopping it plunging further. But I type slow, so rather than delete this now I'll post it in case folks more experienced than I can steer me in the right direction!

Thanks

Stewart
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRat
I'm starting on the father/son ark, and I've got 2 of them to make, so I thought it would be a good plan to make templates for the various components that are x4 per ark and route them on a router table.

The router/table in question I bought last year for a project and ended up not using it, so looking at it this evening for the first time in detail, I'm struck that the top of the collet sits about 20mm below the level of the table (with the router fully "plunged" upside down) so to cut material 20mm thick, plus template on top, I'm going to need a flush trim bit significantly longer than anything I currently have.

Is that common, or a "feature" of the relatively inexpensive router/table I have? 

Typing this in the office I'm already wondering if I set this up right and that I need to check in the workshop in the morning. Feels like that gap would make lots of bits unusable. Maybe I've got something stopping it plunging further. But I type slow, so rather than delete this now I'll post it in case folks more experienced than I can steer me in the right direction!

Thanks

Stewart

Hi Stewart. Woodsmith has in this month's issue a really good DIY router table you can make out of one sheet of plywood. Pretty awesome. Pretty easy. If I can read the plans and watch the video, I'm pretty sure anyone can! I'm going to build mine very soon. Hope this helps a bit..Thanks..

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

harry

Reply with quote  #3 
Did you take the plastic baseplate off the router? There are flush trim bits that are 2” cutting depth for sure, If you check Rockler , Lee Valley, or Woodcraft, they will possibly have longer bits.
StewRat

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry
Did you take the plastic baseplate off the router? There are flush trim bits that are 2” cutting depth for sure, If you check Rockler , Lee Valley, or Woodcraft, they will possibly have longer bits.

I'll take another look when I can get out later.
The router table uses the baseplate to attach the router, so I don't think I can remove it, but there may be something removable that is limiting the travel. Thanks
Keith Harrison

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Stewart,
I bought a router table for the same reason. I do not get on with it. I'm obviously doing something wrong abut I have not quite worked out what yet.

You can get router bit extensions in the UK which should solve you problem

Keith
Big Yin

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Stewart
I  bought an inexpensive router table from a supermarket chain last year,
Although I do not use it a lot and don't use it for the same use as yourself it 
does what I require of it successfully. The collet certainly comes above level of
the table. The base of my original router was too big for the table and I bought an
inexpensive smaller router from the same supermarket chain to use permanently in 
the router. I also bought a set of collets from same shop which I find adequate for my needs. How do you raise the upside down router to the 'plunged ' position.
I have used several different collets with no obvious problem.
I can not remember having to make any alterations to the set up but will visually check over the next few days and let you know if I can see any reason for your problem.

Ian
StewRat

Reply with quote  #7 
I have solved my problem - which was self induced.

I'd fitted the router to the table without removing a plastic collar that is used for dust extraction on the standalone router. That was stopping the full travel.

With that removed, the collet sits just below the table level.

Should have realised that, but - as per Big Yin - I only bought this to use permanently on the table as my original router was too big, so I'd never used it before.

Cut the first templates on the bandsaw tonight so hopefully will get a chance to test the cunning plan at the weekend. Fingers crossed ...

thanks for all the help.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.