Author   Comment  
jmattsson

Reply with quote  #1 
I was going through some old copies of Better Homes and Gardens "Wood" magazine a couple of days ago and ran across an article that may appeal to many of us here who like to build our own wheels. In the June 1990, Issue # 35, there is an article entitled "4 Fun-To-Make Wheels, written by an editor of the magazine and a "loyal reader" who had submitted some plans for the wheels for a monster truck.  The article details how to make a set of tires for airplanes (aerodynamic styling), balloon tires with scroll sawn inserts for pickup truck type wheels, wire wheels, and spoke wheels.  There is also instructions on how to manufacture your own whitewall tires.  In the same issue, there is a full set of plans to build a Monster Truck along with a set of full-sized plans and instructions on how to build monster truck tires, again with a set of full-sized plans for the jigs needed to create the tires.
I have built around 20 of the monster trucks and used the instructions to make the monster truck tires and they turned our great.  
I don't know if this issue of "Wood" is still available in reprints, but you are lucky enough to have the issue, or stumble across one, I think you'll be impressed with the plans.
HeatherP

Reply with quote  #2 

I just did a search for this magazine, and found this link

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/8-category/150-library-wood-magazine

when I tried to purchase one off ebay, I found the shippers do not send to NZ - I problem I often experience.

Colin Marshall_Toymaker

Reply with quote  #3 

I just did a search for this magazine, and found this link

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/8-category/150-library-wood-magazine

when I tried to purchase one off ebay, I found the shippers do not send to NZ - I problem I often experience.

Thank you for the link, HeatherP. I just downloaded a PDF copy of that issue, June 1990 #35, FREE.

Colin Marshall - Toymaker
Peter V

Reply with quote  #4 

Collin,

that I found also ....

then go tot 1990 nr 35, and dwonlaod the pdf. 

at page 40 you will find about the wheelnaking.

as far as I can see, there are nowadays more efficient (ad modern) equipment to make wheels, such als forstner bits etc. 

but the overall idea is great.

Reply with quote  #5 
Great link...thanks for sharing!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.