Author   Comment  
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #1 
I have started to make the Vintage 1955 wood toy train and am having a problem making the part #12, it is a a little square that is 1/4" x 3/16" x 1/4". My fingers get in the way of sanding the part to size and I am not sure if I use hot glue if I can get the little part loose from a larger hold piece without damaging it. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this part to size and look something close to the pictured part? I have tried using scroll saw, chisel, and hand sanding on a board with sandpaper attached.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi sjc5454

Udie shared with me long ago, about using hot glue on a nail to hold small parts.

If that does not work try hot gluing them to a flat board, then using finger nail files to sand them down.
The files are flat so you will be able to sand right down to the bottom edge.   Then the top.  Then remove them from the test board you glued them onto, and lightly clean the hot glue off.

You could also glue them down with Elmer's Rubber Cement.  Sand and then remove.  Elmer's Non-Wrinkle Rubber Cement leaves very little residue behind.

Another idea:  Is your Train going to be plain wood or are you going to paint it?
If plain wood, you could glue the part 12's to the part 7 exactly where you want them to stay.
Then when dry use the finger nail file to sand the sides and the top of the part 12's, and then use the finger nail file to sand the top of the part 7.

I started using finger nail files some time ago, and now do very little sanding with regular sand paper.
Because they are flat and square, you will be amazed at where you can get to with them.
If the file is to wide for small areas (like around windows), cover it in masking and cut in 1/2 or 1/3's long ways.  (I keep my old Scroll Saw blades just for this reason).
Another benefit is they are so easy to hold in your hand, and because they are flat you can get a really nice even finish.
They come in a number of grits.  I use the 120's and 100's.
I also use the buffing foam squares that are wrapped in real fine sand paper the nail people use to buff nails and toes.

You will not believe how great these work, and how easy they are on your own hands.

I buy mine at the beauty supply store.  Also, if your wife has her nails done ask the nail lady if you can have the files and pads used on the wife.  Now they are free, even better.

Another easy way might be to sand the piece when it is in the long strip before you cut down to size.  You could sand the 4 outside edges, then cut to size, and you would only have to sand the top.
Again on anything square, I love using the finger nail files as my main sanding tool.

Hope something here helps, and I am sure some of the guys will have better ways.

Let us know what and how you do your sanding, because I am sure others out there might be having the same issues.

Let us know how the Vintage 1955 Train comes out.  We will be looking forward to seeing photos of the finished project.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
Our local home supply store sells square dowels of which 1/4" are sized. You could cut off the desired size from a length . They are located with the standard round dowels in the store. DSCN0519_opt.jpg 
Douglas

Reply with quote  #4 
Ken , you had some good ideas there ........... If you can buy locally as Bucko said .....even better . No point trying to re invent the wheel . Douglas
ctowne

Reply with quote  #5 
On these tiny pieces I use 2 sided scotch tape and stick them to a piece of card board or even paper.  They can be filed and painted on top and edges.  The tape is not that strong so they can peel off.  I've used this method on pieces as thin as 1/32" and not broken any of the parts. 
Cindy
Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
Good idea Cindy  [smile]
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
sjc5454 - There are some great solutions for you posted.
   Yes, item #12 of the train is pretty small at 1/8 x 3/16 x 1/4 but if making them is a stumbling block there are may ways to make the raw material. I did an article and video on how to make thin stock using the table saw, safely, and Bucko posted the availability of purchasing square dowels at his big box store. Home Depot here does not carry it but Lowes does, if that is any help. Another alternative is to purchase basswood from a hobby shop if that is available to you. I have even used stir sticks and craft sticks as an alternative. Mind you I did paint them rather than leave them unpainted like I demonstrated on the Top Gun Helicopter WNT (Wood Toy News).
   What I did find really useful is using a hobby mitre and razor saw.
IMG_5486 A.jpg

And as Ken mentioned, I like to use the hot met glue gun with various kinds of nails for painting and prep work.
IMG_5490 A.jpg  
   Ctowns suggestion of using double sided tape works great also, I've used that on numerous projects, even when spray painting.

Remember the plans are not set in concrete. Change them at will to what you can produce. Item #9 the base for item #12 is 1/4" thick. You could change the little squares to 1/8" dowels if you wish. You could also make item #12 a solid bar with indents, like dental molding used in crown moulding and cabinet making if you like.

Hope some of this helps.

Looking forward to seeing you post your project, I think we are all excited to see it.

sjc5454

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I might try the square dowel idea first and then use small nails to hold to sand square. The hobby mitre and razor saw would be be helpful to cut the dowel to length and have the pieces come out fairly square. There's a Sally's about a mile away, so I will have to visit there tomorrow after Home Depot kids project with my grandson. I will start taking build pictures and post them as I go along. Luckily, it has been warm here last few days and I have been able to spent time making parts for the train. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.