Author   Comment  
Willem

Reply with quote  #1 

This is a Malawian guy who "immigrate" to South Africa. Instead of stand at robots and ask for handouts he rather decide to do something to earn a living. This guy build toys with basically no tools. I also include a video where he is busy making toys. Following is a few pictures of the toys that he makes and then sell it at busy crossings.

He: Is my shop that one at home those are tools we use. U can see there is no any machine there

1.jpg  2.jpg  3.jpg  4.jpg  5.jpg  6.jpg  7.jpg  8.jpg  9.jpg  10.jpg  11.jpg  12.jpg  13.jpg  14.jpg  15.jpg  16.jpg  17.jpg  18.jpg  19.jpg 

AES

Reply with quote  #2 
Blimey, fantastic results from a "workshop" that, in comparison to all of ours, consists of nothing!

Well done that man!

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you for this wonderful post. This young man is not only full of grit and determination, upon a closer look he has a genius ability to make toys that have great appeal. Wow! I would love to see more photos of his shop.
RabidAlien

Reply with quote  #4 
And suddenly, all of my crappy excuses go out the window.  Mad props to this guy, both for skillz and pure grit and determination, and my utmost respect for actively seeking out a better life than just standing around asking for handouts.

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow!

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Keoman34

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow, they are amazing makes me feel quite humbled in comparison. A true toy maker.
Trav

Reply with quote  #7 
Those toys are fantastic. Clearly he’s got a great mind and a strong commitment. I hope you guys make decent money at this.

What part of Malawi is he from? I lived there for half a year near Lilongwe but I traveled around much of the country. Fantastic place.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
That is stupendous work in a shop with no modern tools. [thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Two things come to mind here. 

1. Learn to use the tools you have at hand. Become an expert.

2. To make a toy, get a chunk of wood, takeout your knife and carve away everything that doesn't look like a toy.

Most of the fancy tools we have are really just variations of a chisel which is just a specialized version of a knife. 

Do you have a link to the source of these photos?

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

harry

Reply with quote  #10 
At first glance that is awesome work, and kudos to this man for trying to make life better. After looking at the photos closer, I am in awe of what this man can do if that is truly the tools he has to work with.
Willem

Reply with quote  #11 
This guy posted on our facebook page. As soon as he does again I will share the link here.
thechipcarver

Reply with quote  #12 
Truly amazing.  Puts things in perspective.  I have to stop myself from complaining that I don't have this tool or that tool.  Look at what this man can create with little to no tools.  We should all print these pictures out and hang them in our place of toy building just as a reminder.
AES

Reply with quote  #13 
+1 to that response!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.