Author   Comment  
Twindaddytoys

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone build and sold these? If so how muchie is the price range?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 1548332201173457018855061249882.jpg, Views: 40, Size: 180.24 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20190122_194439.jpg, Views: 41, Size: 230.24 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20190122_220529.jpg, Views: 39, Size: 209.56 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20190124_203433.jpg, Views: 44, Size: 339.03 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20190124_203446.jpg, Views: 45, Size: 371.73 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20190124_214611.jpg, Views: 43, Size: 386.00 KB 

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
I’m sure there’s an answer on the site from when Ken Marten was still with us as he made many of these and sold .
Twindaddytoys

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I’m sure there’s an answer on the site from when Ken Marten was still with us as he made many of these and sold .

I remember hearing on one of the videos. I was just wondering if someone remembered off the top of their head.

I'll go back and look. Thanks.
Alan

Reply with quote  #4 
I've made and sold 3 or 4 of these in the past and sold them for £15-£20
Twindaddytoys

Reply with quote  #5 
As a new seller of toys and trying to figure out pricing, I think it would be great to have a separate category just for pricing.

It's easy to calculate woodworking projects. I.e. material plus your price per hour. Some add 10-20% for material for "accidentals " lol

But toys are different. The material cost is low to free (if you are repurposing wood) but the labor (of love) not mention skill and talent that goes into toymaking. That's another story.

On a happy note a lady came into the my toy Gallery and bought all my toys and ordered more.
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi, Twindaddytoys. Here is a link on how to price a toy to sell                  

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/set-price-woodworking-projects-home-workshop

Cheers
Raymond
Twindaddytoys

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh cool thanks!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerlaws
Hi, Twindaddytoys. Here is a link on how to price a toy to sell                  

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/set-price-woodworking-projects-home-workshop

Cheers
Raymond

This is great as far as it goes. However, it completely ignores: 

Who is your target market?

Does your target market want to buy what you have to sell?

What is your selling venue? If you are selling at a flea market for example, it's highly unlikely you are going to get high prices for your toys.

If no one wants what you are selling your product is worthless.

Then there is the crazy thing that people believe that if it costs more the quality is better. Sometimes charging more gets you more sales.

When you are selling toys, you will find yourself in competition with sellers that are willing to sell at a loss. There are also people that make poor quality toys that look like yours until you look close.

The handmade toy market is saturated. Today on Etsy a search for "handmade wooden toy" returns 67,805 results. You have to find a way to stand out in the crowd.

Then there are taxes, photography, SEO, social media and a multitude of other things you will need to do and learn.

My point is that the Rockler article may be a good base to start from it is far from being complete.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Twindaddytoys

Reply with quote  #9 
I would agree AND I dont think that it applies well to toy making.
Twindaddytoys

Reply with quote  #10 
On a side note..... did I miss the sale 30% off? I noticed the new animal puzzle is available! I'm excited about that one. Great Job John!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.