Author   Comment  
Luther P

Reply with quote  #1 
Just curious I see all over the Internet and been to many woodworking shows. I see Master Toymaker is being used. How does one earn that title? Do they go to school, do they earn it by word of mouth, or is it just a title one gives himself.

Just wondering because I've been doing woodworking for 30 years. I feel I'm pretty good at woodworking in general, but love makeing toys and am quite good at it. Even though i dont think i know everything im always learning as i go. There are always things to learn. I'm not asking this because I want a title I don't deserve,but I see some woodworkers use that title and I'm just curious.
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Luther P,

I'm sure others on the forum will weigh in on this topic too. I consider the title Master Toymaker to be an informal title that is used when complimenting someone's toymaking crafting skills, just the same way you might call a woodworker a "Master Craftsman". It's not a formal title and is used slightly loosely.

I'm sure others on the forum would agree with me that you too have rightly earned the title, "Master Toymaker".

Cynthia
Luther P

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for your input and compliment. I am hoping others on the Forum will put their input in also. I often wondered about the Master Toymaker title. Maybe someone on the forum that is using the title will share.
If you know someone who uses the title feel free to share this with them. I would love to hear their feedback.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm pretty sure it's a made-up title. Possibly as a marketing ploy or a reporter trying to make something sound better than it is.  But then that's marketing, isn't it? As far as I know, there is no certification exam for toy-making. 

This sort of thing seems to be everywhere. For example, computer support is full of people who call themselves engineers that have never been anywhere near an engineering school and may not know a real engineer.

Then there are the nail technicians. 

I'm sure most of us here are old enough to come up with a list of examples.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #5 
In UK there is an organisation called The British Toy Makers Guild. They have various membership "levels" ("Associate", "Member", etc) and I THINK when you get to the top of that particular tree you can become a "Master" somehow.

I don't think there is an exam as such, but to join you have to submit pictures of your work and various other bits of info. Also I don't know if they accept members from outside UK or not, but here's a link for anyone who may be interested:

http://www.toymakersguild.co.uk/home.html

I am NOT a member myself and simply found the above website some time back when I was looking for something else. I seem to remember the annual membership fee was pretty steep and personally, as I'm not a "master" (!!!) toy maker by any means, I didn't see much benefit in joining, but I may be wrong - IMO there are plenty of people posting their toys here who would easily qualify, so check it out if you like. MAYBE that's where the title comes from, though I suspect that Cynthia's correct in her supposition (above) that it's more of an unofficial thing that's "awarded" to someone who's produced good work. 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
"The British Toy Makers Guild"

I looked at the site just out of curiosity. It looks like a scam to me.

I didn't see any benefit to being a member. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #7 
Yeah, I agree BadBob

I don't even know if it's an "official" Guild or not.

I don't know if you have them in the US, but just for info, "real" Guilds go way back into European history in several countries - basically an association of people performing a specific trade, like carpenters, butchers, bakers, for example, where often the only entry was to have done an apprenticeship served under a "master" of that particular trade. Still existing today in at least UK, Germany, Switzerland, and, I think France too, and in those countries widely "officially respected and recognised".

As you say, I've no idea if that British Toy Makers Guild is official or not, but I couldn't see any benefit in it for me - even if I'm good enough, which I'm not! It just maybe where the title "Master Toy Maker" comes from, though I tend to believe, just like you and Cynthia said, more likely just an unofficial way of saying that someone is good at making toys  [cool]

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
it didn't look like a real Guild to me either. I know a bit about them from just some general knowledge of woodworking history. 
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #9 
I have to agree with Cynthia , I have seen the quality of your work and I believe you can call yourself a master toymaker 

Reply with quote  #10 
This sounds like an opportunity to me. I think I will start a toy makers guild. Just send me $100 and I’ll confer the title of master toy maker to you. I can even get my daughter to make you a snazzy certificate. We got crayons, glitter, even a bunch of googley-eyes and stickers. 😉
AES

Reply with quote  #11 
I'm in Trav!!!!

But please don't forget, from the little I know about it, to be a proper Guild, it's got to be called "The Worshipful Company of (add trade/profession as appropriate)"!

Can I have that WITH glitter on my certificate please?  [biggrin][biggrin][rolleyes]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.