Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone
Had a crack at the Mayberry Police Cruiser. In my rush with the glue up, I forgot to put the steering wheel in and also drill the slot for the police light in the roof, so these are missing.
Body is out of Pine, Sides are Sapelle, Guards are Camphor Laurel and Door pieces are Tasmanian Blackwood. Finished with the Orange Oil.

Mayberry1.jpg Mayberry2.jpg Mayberry3.jpg Mayberry4.jpg Mayberry5.jpg Mayberry6.jpg 

Cheers
Rod T

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #2 
Good work with the contrasting woods it looks great.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Tony

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice job, love the woods you used.

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
This is such precision work it looks as if it was made in a machine shop. How do you make such perfect parts? The wood choices are wonderful. More, more!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #5 
again - love the natural wood.  very nice job.  perfect lines.
cindy
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #6 
Looking good, nice contrast in woods. [thumb]

Reply with quote  #7 
Rod T,

Very nicely done! I love the contrastiing woods and how you have applied it. As John has said, it looks like the wooden parts were made in a machine shop. Please share your secret with us.

You have a problem now fitting the steering wheel, but why do you not fit the police light on the roof with super glue? I use super glue all the time and find it an excellent adhesive. The only problem with super glue is that you have to put the item on the exact spot. Once placed,  it sticks and you cannot move it around like you would do with ordinary wood glue.

None the less, a beautiful model/toy!  Well done.

Regards

Dolf
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #8 
Well done, Rod T, well done.[thumb]

I can just see Barney driving around looking for villains in Mayberry.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Rod T

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

John & Dolf, I basically cut out every piece on the scroll saw with PGT blades. They cut nice and smooth. I have the saw on about half speed and just take it slow when cutting. I generally cut pretty much on the outside of the line of the plans. I use a bobbin sander and disk sander on the parts that glue together (Roof and body), but the individual parts are only given a light hand sanding after cutting. 
I haven't used superglue before, but this is an excellent idea. I use Tightbond I for the glue up. But find it a bit fiddly, as the parts slide around when clamping. Can be very frustrating. I recently bought myself a 23 gauge micropinner, so use this sometimes when lining up pieces. Put the glue on, line the pieces up, fire a pin in it, no more sliding around. Have to be careful to make sure the pins are hidden underneath where another piece glues over top, like a guard etc.
Might have to try Superglue.

The orange oil that I use as a finish seems to hide a multitude of sins though, there are quite a few sanding marks there, but the oil seems to hide the bulk of them. Finest sandpaper that I use is 200 grit. I get pretty inpatient with sanding.

Cheers
Rod T

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the excellent feedback Rod T. I have had good luck with Super Glue. It has held up well and works like magic. You usually only need to pinch it together by hand for just a few minutes. If the mating surfaces are smooth and level the bond is almost instant. This video goes into it in detail.

About toy safety. I would limit the use of these to toys for children that are 3 years or older.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.