Author   Comment  
chapmanrm

Reply with quote  #1 
The newest in the mega truck line with different wheels again. I plan to put in a rolling door in the box.van5.jpg  van6.jpg
Douglas

Reply with quote  #2 
Good start ...the wheels look great . Did you make them ? If so .how did you cut the tread pattern ?  Douglas  [thumb]
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi

I like the start you got on this project.
Like Douglas I am interested in how you made the wheels.
Also, is that a hub cap on the front end?

Look forward to seeing the finished truck.

chapmanrm

Reply with quote  #4 
The wheels are two piece, made from 3/4 inch pine the treads are cut on a sliding jig on the table saw set at an angle. The wheel blank is divided into 25 segments on both sides and the saw blade is raised to he right height the cut is angled deeper at the edge. The wheel is then sanded. The blanks are cut on the band saw and the the center on the outside layer is cut with a hole saw and the two halves are glued together. The center on the front wheel is a savaged cutout. Once he jig is set up the process is very quick and the results are good.
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
chapmanrm - Looking good. I have to agree with Ken, looks like your off to a great looking project, can't wait to see the final photos.
Front hub cap looks like it is rounded over a little and wheel nut holes drilled into it.
Do you have any in work photos of how you made these?

pdaunno

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice start!  I would love to see a picture of your sliding jig for the wheels.

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi chapmanrm, I love those wheels, next time you make some how about making a video to show us how you did it. I'm sure it would be very well received here.
chapmanrm

Reply with quote  #8 
I am not use to taking pictures or videos as I am working and I  will try to remember to do so. Here is a picture of the simple jig it took 15 min to build not pretty but works. The gauge is used to mark the blanks to make the cuts evenly spaced. There is a index mark on the to of the jig to line up the marks on the blanks.jig.jpg 
Udie

Reply with quote  #9 
chapmanrm -
   Thanks for posting the deep tread wheels photo. Here's what I think I see and I think the math behind it.
   Your marking gauge as 24 slots cut in it. That tells me that you have divided a 360° circle by 24 making the spacing between each slot at 15°.
   Some how the wheel is held in place on the 2x4 by either a screw or a dowel.
On top of the 2x4 it looks like it's a piece of 2x2.
On top of the 2x2 you mentioned there is an indexing mark.
   So I think you procedure is to turn the wheel to the mark and then run the wheel past the table saw blade. Then rotate the wheel to the next mark on the wheel and cut, repeat until finished.
   So what is the angle the 2x4 to the front edge of the plywood sled?
I am going to guess it is also at 15°.
I just taking a stab at this, so let me know if I am incorrect.
chapmanrm

Reply with quote  #10 
Yes that sounds right  I am sorry for not posting better photos. I work shift work and some times I gone for awhile.I will get the hang of this, most of what I do is by guess work and trial and error it is nice to have a base to start with.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #11 
Chapmanrm
   Thanks for the photos about your jig, I must try this.
Don't ever be sorry for posting what you have or what you have learned or how to do different things.  
We are learning from you, thanks
Keep up the good work.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #12 
A wheeley great  idea ,  I will have to give that a try . Good thinking . Douglas    [wink]
GCW

Reply with quote  #13 
I'm gonna have to start the scroll saw and make that man a chocolate chip cookie as a reward for that idea, good job
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #14 
I love that jig! Welcome to the little group that we have here, and sharing little tidbits helps us all grow as woodworkers.
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #15 
Excellent truck and in ply brilliant love the wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.