Author   Comment  
AES

Reply with quote  #1 
As per the request from John Lewman, here's a couple of pix of the above which is currently WIP:

First, a picture of the finished toy, as per the web site of the plans seller:

[image]

And a picture of an actual car (just in case it's not recognized):

MG TC-C.jpg 

The parts all cut out & most metal parts made:

Gross Teile 1 C.jpg  Holz Kleinteile C.jpg Metal Kleinteile C.jpg 

Now the basic chassis + chassis assy:

Ramen 1 C.jpg Rear Axle-C.jpg 

The 1st trial assembly:

Body RH Front-c.jpg 

Front & rear "wings" ("mudguards" or "fenders"?):

9 Frnt-Rr Wings Dummy Assy Inner-C.jpg 

Apart from the first coat of primer, that's as far as I've got. Plenty more to do!!!!

By the way, to give some scale to the pix above, the car is/will be about 6 feet+ long overall - plenty big enough for the 8 year old it's destined for.

Hope these are of interest - any comments or improvement suggestions most welcome.

Krgds

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
I was away all day and just read your post while heading for bed. Now I can't sleep! This is some amazing design work and craftsmanship. Please keep us informed of your progress. The beauty of it is the lightweight of the car plus the grace and form of the design. You are a pro. What is your history? Are you an automobile designer or modelmaker?
AES

Reply with quote  #3 

Hullo John, and to anyone else reading - sorry to have given you a sleepless night John!

No, I have nothing to do with cars or design – as per my 1st post, I’m a retired free-lance aircraft engineer.

And the design has little or nothing to do with me either; I bought the plans from a US Company on the Internet. I have made some modifications (“improvements” I hope) but in many cases these have added to my difficulties in completing the build – the “Law of unintended consequences” and all that!!

But I’m getting there and the car should be OK in the end.

As to craftsmanship, I consider myself FAR, FAR away from pro level, honestly. All the wooden parts are simply ply (mainly three quarter and one inch thicknesses) and there are no proper wood workers joints – just butt joints, screws and glue, plus softwood strengthening battens where necessary. All external screw heads to be covered with automotive 2-part body filler and then rubbed down flush before painting, so hiding my LACK of craftsmanship! Looking back I already see stuff from the start of the build that I could now do much better – learning curve, which I guess is one of the main reasons for doing this stuff.

The colour will either be “British Racing Green” or “Fire Engine Red”, I haven’t decided yet.

And the car will certainly not be lightweight either, on the contrary, but should be tough enough to withstand the rigours of boisterous play and last on to the next generation (or 2, hopefully).

Yes, purely as a hobby I’ve been an aeromodeller since I was about 10 years old, and some of the techniques from that have been used here, suitably scaled up of course.

In particular with this project I have worked on the same basis as model aircraft “Semi Scale” or “Stand-off Scale” models – i.e. you choose those aspects of the original which make up the character of the whole thing, then highlight them on the model. So for example, those swooping “mudguards” MUST feature on the toy, ditto those big headlamps, the louvers on the bonnet (“hood”) sides, that very distinctive radiator grille, etc, etc. The whole idea being NOT to produce a 1:1 real scale museum model but to capture the “air” and “feel” of the whole thing so that when anyone who even vaguely knows what they look likesee the toy then they  immediately say to themselves “Oh look, that’s an MG Midget” - it's just the same as a model Spitfire not looking like a Spitfire without that very distinctive elliptical wing and very narrow-track landing gear.

Anyway, once again I’ve written on and on instead of being in the shop working on and on, and it’s already just past 11.00 here – I’ve got a Christmas deadline to meet and at my VERY slow working pace that’s going to be a tight deadline. But I will continue taking WIP pix and post again here when the job’s finally done.

Meantime my apologies for referring to you as a “pretty active member” in my 1st post John (!) – I now see the whole of this kit & caboodle belongs to you. So thanks to you Sir, it’s an interesting Forum with some good ideas around and I’ll be pleased to become a small part of that.

After the MG I’ve got a small pull-along “wobbly fish” to finish off for a real youngster who’s just started “staggering” now (plan from a US Scroll Saw mag) and then I want to have a go at your Mercedes tipper truck and the Mega Wrecker – so much to do, so little time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I shan’t be posting here again all that often for a while yet, but will be keeping my eye on the Forum and if anyone out there thinks I can help at all (talk about the blind leading the blind!) then by all means send me a PM.

Krgds

john lewman

Reply with quote  #4 
I enjoyed learning more about you and your experiences. You wrote "you choose those aspects of the original which make up the character of the whole thing, then highlight them on the model." Well said. I've never been able to put that into words and you have smartly stated the very essence of great toy and model design. Hats off to Krdgs! (what does Krdgs stand for?)
john lewman

Reply with quote  #5 
I enjoyed learning more about you and your experiences. The skills required to be a freelance aircraft engineer far exceed those required to be a toy designer! You wrote "you choose those aspects of the original which make up the character of the whole thing, then highlight them on the model." Well said. I've never been able to put that into words and you have smartly stated the very essence of great toy and model design. Hats off to Krdgs! (what does Krdgs stand for?)
AES

Reply with quote  #6 
Hullo again John,

You wrote QUOTE: The skills required to be a freelance aircraft engineer far exceed those required to be a toy designer! UNQUOTE:

My answer is "yeah, maybe", but apart from applying the basic principles of what I call "engineering problem solving" the 2 things are miles apart! As said previously, I've been going up - am still going up - a HUGE learning curve and haven't really done any what I would call "design" at all. In fact looking at the whole thing as dispassionately as I can, I think I've "over-engineered" the basic design in many ways. But thanks for the compliments anyway.

Sorry about the "Krgds". Yet another sign of how old-fashioned I really am! It's old telex-speak for "Kind Regards" - clearly a habit I should try and break.

I'll just sign myself "AES" - which are my initials and my Forum user name.

How about "Cheers John" instead of "Krgds"?

;-)

AES

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.