Author   Comment  
TheHawg

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello All,

I am working on the Mini Constructor sets. I have noticed that the plans call for over sized holes for all axle pegs. I drilled as instructed, but find the holes to be too big for my liking.

Do you guys go ahead with the over sized holes or do you go with the diameter of the axle pegs?

I emailed ToyMakingPlans.com and she said they were over sized purposely to allow for gluing the pegs in place and to avoid splitting of the wood.

What are some of your opinions?

Thanks
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi TheHawg,

For the specific holes you're inquiring about we state that the axle holes in the body are drilled at 1/4" to accommodate for gluing the 7/32" pegs in place. You can drill a 7/32" hole if you prefer but you may have to hammer the pin into the body and run the risk of splitting the body if the fit isn't exact. We have found that the extra 1/32" (which is actually 1/64" from the distance of the peg to the edge of the hole) is so small that it makes it easier to glue the peg in place.

Cynthia

TheHawg

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, and thank you for your quick replay to my email as well as forum post. I'm sorry if I sounded a little short in my email.

I have been making toys for a couple of years now and have never over sized my axle pin holes. As a near beginner, I was just wondering what some of the other folks do.

Thanks again,
Phil
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Phil,

You're fine! I just wanted the members to know which holes you're referring to so they'll be able to respond to the question more accurately.

Cynthia
Rod T

Reply with quote  #5 
I find that the axles tend to vary a bit.

I have a scrap piece of hardwood that I have drilled about 10 different sizes of holes into and labelled each hole with the size etc.
When I come to drill the holes for the axles I get out the axles and test fit them in my scrap piece first and find which drill bit is the best.

I have a line of holes which are imperial and a line which is metric. 

I also use this for axles that spin in the holes by finding a hole that is loose enough for the axle to spin freely without being too sloppy.

Hope this helps. 

Cheers

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I find the best way to deal with axle pegs is to measure them with calipers to get the actual size I have. Be sure to measure in several places because they are not always round.

I have a set of number and letter size drill bits that has a chart with exact diameter of each bit. I usually pick the next higher size unless it is very close.

If you get them to tight they may seize up on you be for they get fully inserted. To loose and you will need to pin the axles some how to prevent them from coming out. 

I dry fit before adding glue. If it is difficult to get together with no glue it may be impossible to assemble. If I can't get it apart with just my fingers it is way to tight.

Remember that glue takes up space so you have to have some where for it to go. If you need the axle peg to go 1/2 inch deep you need your hole to be deeper than 1/2 inch so there is some space for excess glue to accumulate. If there is not enough room for the glue and you force the peg in you may split the toy. For this reason I find it easier just to drill the holes all the way through.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.