Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all. I need your feedback on scale and complexity. This is a very rough prototype using glued together treaded wheels to make the fat tires. We are planning four mini-trucks that are a lot of fun to make and also very easy to make. I will be posting more details as we work through the kinks.

Mini Monster Truck Fleet.jpg

LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #2 
Aww common John I haven't finished the lil red wagon set yet [biggrin]

Seriously that would look good as a Bronco
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #3 
That looks great John, I'd buy that plan.

Kids and BIG kids would love those, unlimited paint jobs spring to mind already,

Keep well, John and Cynthia.
Toy builder Bob

Reply with quote  #4 
That looks like a great toy John,just the right size for little hands to play with and tough enough to take a lot of rough play.Just another thought John to add to you list of future designs, have you ever thought of designing a formula one race car set ?
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #5 
I like the design John. I think with the right paint and decals, it could be made to look like almost any famous monster truck a particular kid might like. If I made this one, I would make the tires a little more narrow. I understand it is just a prototype that you threw together but you might take a good look at the scale of the tires in your research photos. The rest of it looks really good as far as size and scale. Looking forward to the rest of the posts as the project progresses. Now that I have the paint scheme figured out for the A100 pickup, I need to start researching monster truck paint schemes. Stay safe.
Jim
rob41245

Reply with quote  #6 
Great idea I have great grand kids that will love them and even help me build them'!
john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks all for the encouragement. Flamepainter-your comments are noted and you are correct. The goal is to use existing wood toy wheels available online and I am having difficulty matching the scale while keeping the toy a small size.

Also Toy  builder Bob has a great idea with the Formula One cars. I'll put that on the development list.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #8 
Ford Bronco will definitely be one of the trucks.
TTT2014

Reply with quote  #9 
John,
    This would be an awesome set to build.
Kids would love them!!
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #10 
I think the over large tires are an enhancement that will sell the toys . Still not a problem as the size can be set by the builder
john lewman

Reply with quote  #11 
Another rough prototype of the Bronco Monster Truck. 5-1/2" long with 3/4" thick x 1-1/2" wheels made with a hole cutter. I will try and make the insert wheel area with a couple of cuts with a Forstner bit. More on that later. I am trying for a quick and easy build on this set of plans. The truck body is 3/4" thick with two pieces for the inner and two 1/4" thick pieces for the outer shell. The fenders are 1/2" thick.

Bronco mini monster truck 001.jpg
Bronco mini monster truck 002.jpg

Wombat

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi John,
 I reckon these will be good for fetes, as they are not so big yet funky enough to compete with plastic crap.
To follow on from Flamepainter's comment re the over-thick wheels, could you consider perhaps still using a purchased wheel for the outside where the machined looks count, but backing them up with a plain disc cut from  thinner stock. I assume you flush-sand the backs of the store-bought wheels to get them to fit together neatly, so a flat disc would blend in OK. Put them on a bolt in the drill press(vertical lathe) and sand them flush concentric, perhaps add another tread groove, and job done.

Still, myself, I would probably do the two wheels back to back. Monster trucks are all about oversized exaggerated  wheels, and plastic crap examples in our local shops seem to be as wide as they are high.

john lewman

Reply with quote  #13 
Good idea. Both types of wheels will be included. Thanks!
Peter V

Reply with quote  #14 
an idea:

- glueing two wheels together and than - with a bandsaw - cut one of those wheels (which side is fitted to the car side) in half (or 1/3 or 2/3) of that wheel? You can than have every size you want.

just my two cents

edit:
18.40 GMT: or - better - cut one wheel at the flat side to the desired width and glue that to the flat side of the opposite wheel. Then you have both sides with side-profile (or how do you call that? in Dutch: wangen), the place where the DOT-code is.

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi John,
    I'm looking at both versions you have put in this posting side-by-side and they look very different from each other but similar at the same time. This newer version, I think would be very popular maybe even more popular than the other version. I do like the fenders and the overhang of the roof. The comments about tire width are good comments. The builder can choose what size tires to use for the look they want. Showing the exploded view of this newer one gives a better idea of how it's built. It looks pretty simple, and apparently, that's what you are going for. I think you have another winner here. Am looking forward to the release of these.
Jim
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.