Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
ctowne

Reply with quote  #1 
This project was so much fun and the kids will love it.  Finished with the beeswax mixture - you can find the recipe by clicking here.  Little animals like this can be made from all types of little scraps.  Note: Round each of the corners after you make a cut.

Noah's Fun Time Mini Ark

20140717_182200_resized.jpg

osni chioveto

Reply with quote  #2 
Parabéns  ctowne - Muito bom o acabamento das peças.
Congratulations very good ctowne the finish of parts.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
ctowne - What a wonderful job you have done. Amazing what treasures one can find in the scrap bin for many of the projects. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for sharing your wonderful creation ctowne.

You did a really nice job.
Can you share the woods you used on this project.

Again thanks for the photos, and we want to see more of your work.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
Fantastic finished pieces the kids must love that one,thanks for showing.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks All.  This size seems to work well with the kids. 
Ken, I tell you some of the woods, some of the small scraps I don't know by the grain patterns.  Now I've been writing the name on ends so I can identify the small scraps in the future.  I also get scraps from a furniture maker and sometimes just don't know what wood it is.

Dove - aspen
Horse - butternut
Hippo- american walnut
Pig - red oak (i think)
Camel - alder
Rhino - cherry
Lion - yellow heart
Elephant - purple heart - super difficult to cut.  Lots of burning
Girraffe - unknown - it looked a little spotted.  dark brown and little bit lighter spots.  in my hand it felt much denser than the purpleheart but was relatively easy to cut.  And it finished very nice. 

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #7 
Wow ctowne

Thank you so much for telling me about your woods.  I just found a specialty store here in our area, and hope to work with them on end cuts and wood they can not sell.

I am excited to know some of the details, like about the purple heart for the elephant.

Again thanks, show us more of your work when you can.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Great work. I would love to see a photo in the post that has a child or you or both in the photo so we can see the scale of the toy. You must have a pretty efficient shop setup to do such clean and detailed work. Feel free to post photos of your shop also. We look forward to seeing it!

John
ctowne

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks All -
John I will get some photos with children to get scale of the items. That is a great idea. 

I've attached photos of my workshop per your request.  I really wanted to do woodworking and did not have a shed or garage.  I did research because there are woodworkers all over the world and many countries typically do not have garages or sheds.  My shop is a small bedroom in my houses 10'x10'.  The house is not dusty.  Dust is controlled with a shopvac or a quiet desktop dust collector.   My main tool is the scroll saw.  the drill press and bandsaw assist with the scroll saw work.  Any nonhand sanding and miter saw is done outside.  I carry those tools outside each time they are needed.  

I do not have a table saw so that has limited some of plans I can do.  All I've tried that require a good, straight 90 degree butt joint have not worked out and end up in the pile of misfit toys.    I do not cut a very straight line on a scroll saw and not on the bandsaw either. 

Long story short - I did not let my limited space keep me from woodworking and toy making is a perfect size.  It is wood working mixed with little bit artistic.   The whole room has shelves on the upper portion for storage.   

Let me know what you think. 

Cindy

20140725_165055_resized.jpg 20140725_165118_resized.jpg 20140725_165245_resized.jpg

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Cindy,

This is a wonderful set of photos of your shop. It is very well organized and kept neat and tidy for efficient toymaking. Your work is very artistic and has a unique personality. Well done! We look forward to seeing more photos of your work.

Please check your private messages in the forum. I want to discuss your work with you.

John
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow wish my workshop was as clean and organised as yours love the idea of the scrolled bowls on top shelf. thanks for showing.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Udie

Reply with quote  #12 
ctowne (Cindy) - Wow, that's a wonderful shop, very well organized and clean. I see a lot of great shop storage ideas like the short piece multiple shelf wood storage unit and you dowel holders. Good idea.
Your inventory of completed projects looks great - are you getting ready for a local show?
Now, with respect to your projects - are you heat-treating your woods, staining or using naturally coloured exotic woods?

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #13 
ctowne
I am amazed by your determination to have a wood shop and what you have done with a small space.

I would love to see more photos of your work, because you are really doing nice things.

I loved seeing the Martin Motors cars on your shelf.  I found them fun and easy to build.

Like you I have limited space, but I am out in my garage.  It is about 10 x 20 so I have put most things on wheels to roll out in the driveway and work outside most of the time.  I have the advantage of living in southern California and can work outside all year long.

I just love what you are doing, because you found a way to make your dream of having a wood shop come true, and you are doing really quality work.

Keep sharing your work, we can't wait to see more.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #14 
Thank you all for your compliments. 
Because the shop is in the house it does need to be kept clean and also there is usually a dog in there with me, if I don't keep it picked up, one of them likes to eat the wood.  

John - I sent an email you. 

Udie - I am getting ready for two shows in Sept.  I've been reading this site on the show research that you have done and going to have many smaller, less expensive items and a few larger sets.  Some natural some colored.  We will see what moves the most.

Any colored toys I've made are usually pine/poplar.  Inexpensive and easy to find at a box store.  It comes in the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & 1 1/2  thickness which is important to me because I do not have the huge shop to do the milling and I would rather spend my time on creating.  I've been trying different methods of coloring, spray paint, painting....   I really like the General dyes/stains.  They are child safe finishes and i cover them with poly.   

I do make scroll saw bowls and those use exotic woods, mostly North American.  That wood also comes scroll saw ready.  I often buy a 12" board rather than a 10" so I can have a 2"strip to use for toys.  It is only slightly more cost  and then I get some variety in the toys.  I also have a friend that builds furniture for a living and he will save me a box of ends.  That wood is often not milled exact so it is perfect for a stand alone type item like and animal or car.

I did try baking the wood.  I did not have success with the pine, it was very blotchy.  Not sure if there was something on the wood.  But the wheels and dowels turned out great.  I did make one toy and baked after the pieces were cut, you can probably guess that some shrunk more than others and that toy was not able to be finished.  I've read more on this site with your last experiment and I'm going to try again.  It rains often here so sometimes the weather is not in my favor for experiments.  

Ken - the Martin cars were fun to build.  I've already given 2 sets to family kids for birthdays. 
Udie

Reply with quote  #15 
ctowne - Thanks for the great details in your last post, the members will get a lot from it.
Good idea about purchasing wider stock giving you more usable scrap pieces for smaller items and components.
September is just around the corner, have fun at the show.
Hope you will share some photos of your display set-up and post your observations about the show and Joe publics reactions and sales.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.