Author   Comment  
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #1 
Here's a set of metallic playpals that I've made for my 3yo daughter. 2-3 coats of brush on gloss poly and beeswax/coconut oil finish. Also, the beginnings of another set made of reclaimed jarrah. Love how the jarrah turned out with just beeswax/coconut oil finish.

Still trying to get the hang of the scrollsaw. I'm hoping that a lot of the problems I'm having with vibration/chatter will be resolved when I make a dedicated stand for it. It is a 16" sherwood that takes pinned blades but has one of the useless adapters for pinless. The hardwood was very slow going, especially when sawing with the grain. My small supply of different blades I got to try out is quickly dwindling.

playpals2.jpg

Reply with quote  #2 
These are beautiful.  Great job, keep them coming.
Cindy
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
What a wonderful set of toys and the workmanship is pro. What type of wood is jarrah? Also, you might want to check the tension of the scrollsaw blade. It should be very tight. There is a lot of info on the forum about scroll saw blades. Just type "scroll saw blades" in the search box. Click on the word "search" at the top of this page and the box will pop up. 
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Good job Rosie, I just made some of these this weekend. I have had the plans for ever LOL.

I like the paint job as it gives nice contrast.

As John say's it's all about tension on the scroll saw blade. Also a weighted stand will help with vibration.
If it has variable speed there is usually one speed that will have less vibration as well. 
My first scroll saw I put it on a rubber mat that you usually stand on in front of the kitchen sink.
These are fairly thick sponge rubber and this will reduce the vibration even further.

Anyway thanks for sharing your nifty little playpals [thumb]

Reply with quote  #5 
Great job.  Your daughter will love them.
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #6 
John - Jarrah (eucalyptus marginata) is a hardwood (very heavy and very hard) found only in the southwest of Western Australia. Re tension, I was having a hard time with the pinless blades getting good tension. The blades kept slipping out. I'll try roughing them up a bit to see if they grip better. I was able to get it much tighter with the pinned blades and you're right it made a huge difference. Thanks, the scroll saw blade selection info is really helpful

Ed - thanks for the tip. I might grab a thicker rubber mat to try. At the moment I've just got it on a thin non-slip mat. I'll pay more attention to the saw speed as well.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.