Author   Comment  
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #1 
All made from scrap birch plywood. Wheels cut out with a hole saw and sanded on a drill press.

Painted with child friendly acrylic paints. Finished with acrylic enamel.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20200420_150352379.jpg, Views: 30, Size: 285.66 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20200420_150401934.jpg, Views: 33, Size: 187.88 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20200420_150413080.jpg, Views: 29, Size: 249.86 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20200420_150422412.jpg, Views: 30, Size: 244.81 KB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
These wood toys are a ton of fun and they inspire me to head to the scrap pile!
Toy builder Bob

Reply with quote  #3 
Grandpa Bear , those are fantastic. You sure do possess. a lot of artistic talent !
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #4 
Great craftsmanship! These look like they would be easy to build and I think there are a lot of kids that would like these to play with. It gives me some inspiration to try something like this too.
Jim
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #5 
They are very easy, just 9mm plywood, cut with a scroll saw, round off the edges, prime, then paint with acrylics, colours are up to you, I have personalised these for my 20 month old grandson, he loves them. The wheels are cut from same plywood with a hole saw in a drill press.

I used plywood as it's virtually indestructible.

Thanks for comments, keep safe Nick
Peter V

Reply with quote  #6 
Grandpa Bear,

my compliments. Fabulous.

Reply with quote  #7 
Hedgely Hedgehog.jpg  sticky stick and hedgely.jpg  Sticky sticky stick stick.jpg  Tan Horse.jpg  White Stallion.jpg More simple toys from scrap wood.

Two horses for my grandson's barnyard set and 2 more characters from the Hey Duggee TV show, Hedgely the Hedgehog and Sticky Sticky Stick Stick,

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
You have such a great sense of humor and expression with your wood toy crafting. These are so much fun.
Colin Marshall_Toymaker

Reply with quote  #9 
I have a folder called "toyplans and instructions" where i keep all of my Toymaker Plans on my computer. There are sub folders in it for Boystoys, Girls toys, Educational toys, play toys, boys and girls toys. In those sub folders they are divided again into more sub folders like aero toys, boats, cars, dolly toys etc,etc........... Any way I'm sure you get the idea.

Well, Grandpa Bear, you have now got me to add yet another sub folder which I will call, "Toys From Scrap" ( Just quietly, that to will have sub folders)

It all sounds a little complicated, but I assure you that it makes it easy when I am choosing toys to make, especially if I get a request.

Colin Marshall - Toymaker
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #10 
I'm hitting the scrap pile as most UK wood suppliers are locked down and I can't get any wood.

These are just simple 2D shapes, enhanced by acrylic paints. I never throw any wood away no matter how small.

It can nearly always be transformed into something that can be played with, given a little bit of thought and effort,
Luckily for me, I'm a better painter than woodworker, so it helps to bring toys to life with a bit of color.

Love your work. Keep making toys everyone and stay safe, Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.