Author   Comment  
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #1 
Another supply of wood I got a tip from my bother in law about a big commercial building the are to demolish. He introduced me to the foreman. The foreman said to take any thing want I had until April 9th that's when the building is to come down. Here's a picture I'm going Tuesday for some more. What a gold mine. Many door frames 1"x 6" Meranti  wood I believe it's kind of heavy but cuts beautiful. 20180328_181057.jpg    

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice
Tony

Reply with quote  #3 
What a great find. Looks like a lot of toys in there.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks, you can bet on thatTony.I was taking all the nails out and cutting them up last night some are 1 inch solid oak.

Reply with quote  #5 
Awesome find. 

Some great toys in that lot.

Cheers
Rod T

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #6 
Free is always good just a few nails to remove and your up and running.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
retired13

Reply with quote  #7 
Thats the best way to get wood. Great!
Dongarrett

Reply with quote  #8 
Well I am new to the forum and this may have been suggested before. My best source of free wood has been from a couple of cabinet makers I befriended in the area. They buy quality wood for their cabinet jobs and always have overs, scraps, and cutoffs left over. They don’t try to save an use left over wood and most of it goes in the dumpster. I relieved one of them from a quantity of red oak 3/4 and 4/4 in various widths and lengths. He was taking it home and burning it in his fireplace. I have gotten oak, cherry, mahogany, walnut, and others. They don’t usually have large quantities, but I’m in the grandkid business, not production sales.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
Spot-on advice Dongarrett and a proper use for wood scraps! I have also picked up woods of various types at Habitat for Humanity. Once a local wood products manufacturer brought in a semi-load of assorted hardwood blocks in 50 pound burlap sacks. I bought a few for $2 per bag. What a stroke of luck!
eburk

Reply with quote  #10 
Nice score there!!!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.