Author   Comment  
BobbyDe

Reply with quote  #1 
Made the three Muscle Car Silhouettes.  These were alot of fun.

First was the '68 Charger attached. This car is built from three types of wood. Main body Pine 2x4 (middle), 3/4" Western Red Cedar from a recycled old barn (rails - stripes - multi-colored brown). Outboard frame (1/8" Aspen).  Roof pine 2x4.  Wheels are purchased online and painted black.  I modified this design in a couple of ways.
A. Main body in design is two pieces of 2x4, side by side.  I used three pieces of wood, One 2x4, and two (Outboard) pieces of 3/4" in WRC.
B. the 1/8" outboard body rails w doors I rounded the body in an attempt to conform to the actual body shape.
C. I separate the steering wheel from the dash with a 1/16" dowel (toothpick).
2020 06 PIC of 1968 Charger.jpg

BobbyDe

Reply with quote  #2 
Second Car, 69 Mustang
Followed the design with a few body molding addins.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2020 06 PIC of 1969 Mustang 1.jpg, Views: 11, Size: 145.38 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 2020 06 PIC of 1969 Mustang 2.jpg, Views: 9, Size: 146.35 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 2020 06 PIC of 1969 Mustang 3.jpg, Views: 8, Size: 147.78 KB 

BobbyDe

Reply with quote  #3 
Third car, 71 Barracuda

My first attempt at multi color, Using red and black spray paint (four coats) and poly outer coat (x4).

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2020 06 PIC of 1971 Baracuda.jpg, Views: 11, Size: 150.90 KB 

BobbyDe

Reply with quote  #4 
The three together.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2020 06 PIC Three Cars 1.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 176.21 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 2020 06 PIC Three Cars 2.jpg, Views: 13, Size: 179.53 KB 

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #5 
These look great!. You did a very nice job on all three. I like the contrast of the three different color combinations you did.
Jim
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
BobbyDe,

These are top-of-the-line wood toy models. I am impressed with the workmanship, fit and finish. Wow! It makes me want to develop some more muscle car toy plans that are the same scale as these beauties.
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #7 
Looking good!
BobbyDe

Reply with quote  #8 
John - I owned a '69 RS Camaro. I have completed a rough design and will build soon.  Once done I will share.  I had two issues with these builds. One was the roofs, cutting them and gluing them, as small as they were caused my first two to come out badly.  I decided to modify the design and cut the roof out of a single piece of pine 2x4.  This can not be cut on a scroll saw, so I rough in w a table and cross cut saw, then I shape to the line(s) with an oscillating spindle sander.  Even with this approach - the roofs are not perfect.  Second, was a minor issue w one of the plans back seat, it is at a 90 degree angle when it should probably be a rounded interior angle.

Check out my wavy flag post.

BobbyDe
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
Hi BobbyDe, 
I had the same problem scrolling the 1-1/2" roof with the existing fine scroll saw blade. I switched to a #9 and it cut that thickness just fine. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.