Author   Comment  
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but not new to toymaking. I recently purchased my first toy plan ( Mustang Rocking Horse) from ToymakingPlans and wanted to share the results. The instructions were very straight forward and easy to follow. I usually use hardwoods to make all my toys but decided to follow John Lewmans lead and use a 2"x 12" x 12' pine board purchased for $18.81. I used left over mahogany, ebony and walnut from other projects for accent pieces. The project took four days but that was also because I made wooden templates since I will be making more of these. I already had two rocking horses sold before the first one was complete. Thanks John for the great design.

Weekend Projects Mustang Rocking Horse

mustang.jpg

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20151026_143202.jpg, Views: 190, Size: 803.32 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20151026_143311.jpg, Views: 201, Size: 997.58 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20151026_143406.jpg, Views: 181, Size: 968.56 KB 

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome Brian and awesome post/ rocking horse. Great details on the horse and thanks for the info on the wood such as size and price. Once again nice job.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Welcome Brian to the Forum.
Really nice build, you do nice work and we will be looking forward to seeing more from you.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice - love the use of the accent pieces.  Great on preselling before they are finished. 
Cindy
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #5 
A great project for your first posting on here. Looks great and well make

Reply with quote  #6 
What a great looking Rocking Horse!  I am curious as to the size.  I would like to try my hand at this and ship to my nephew.  Is it huge?
 Thankx!

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Steve,
 The horse is 34 inches from nose to tail, 20 inches tall and 15 inches wide. It's made from 2 inch pine from Lowes or Home Depot. The weight is approximately 30 pounds. The Mustang cost me less than $30. I think it's safe to say that shipping costs will be more than that. Hope this helps.
 Also, this was the first set of plans that I purchased from Toymaking Plans.com and found the plans easy to follow and easy to build.
 I hope you try it and would love to see your finished project.
                                                                                   Brian  
Stevenm01

Reply with quote  #8 
H Brian,
 Thank you so much for your reply.  I am familiar with this site but new to the forum.   This looks like a super fun project and I will probably give it a shot, but not until after the Christmas rush.  The size info is very helpful...but I will hand deliver it LOL.  I think you did a fantastic job using the walnut to accent the pine.  I have a lot of Black Walnut in my shop and will follow your creative lead.  
I run an Etsy shop called PopsPuzzles and it is ramping up for the season.  I also use a plan from here for Noah's Funtime Mini Ark.  I found the drawings and plans accurate and easy to follow as well.  I love this site!  

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.