Author   Comment  
BeauKSU

Reply with quote  #1 
Here's my first attempt...the super simple play pals

Jo122Nx.jpg 

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
BeauKSU
Now there's a good looking fleet of vehicles and a excellent finish job also.
How about filling us in on some details like, wood used, cooked wood or stain and finish.
BeauKSU

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Udie!  Since this was my very first time I decided to use some inexpensive 3/4 pine craft boards I had laying around in the garage.  I purchased a new Rockwell Blade runner to make the cuts, it worked really well, once I learned how to use it [smile]  I glued the templates onto thin luan, cut them out and then used those to trace onto the pine. I used a dark walnut wood stain and spray polyurethane for the finish.  I lightly sanded the coats of poly with #0000 steel wool and applied 3 coats using this method. 

I'd like to try more complicated cars next, after I watch and read more of your excellent tips!  I really want to learn how to combine different colors of stains into one project.
BeauKSU

Reply with quote  #4 
Also, in case anyone is interested...

I created this contraption with a cardboard box and bailing wire to help me with the polyurethane application. 

PTSntmK (Small).jpg 

Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
BeauKSU - Thanks for the details, that will greatly help other members. I like your instant spray booth also.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
BeauKSU - This is some mighty fine workmanship and some of the best detailing and craftsmanship we have seen on the Forum. More! More! More!
joepeto

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi BeauKSU,
Welcome to Forum! Very well done job. I liked specially your contraption, very clever, I will use this idea on my next pinting job. Thanks for sharing.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #8 
These are done well but I think that the spray booth should be more looked into this is one slick contraption and I am sure that many of the members would  like to model a booth after yours. - Don
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #9 
Love the natural wood colour they look great.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #10 
well done on your work they look great like the spary booth.

Reply with quote  #11 
Love how you've kept the finish to show the grain [thumb]
And don't worry about using inexpensive pine - it's easy to work with, has a pleasant grain (mostly), stains well and always looks good in it's natural state or finished with a clear finish or one like you have used.
As for the booth - certainly looks like a goer [wink]

Reply with quote  #12 
You have done a fine job of this fleet of vehicles. I like the color. I really like the paint station idea. It is truly a workshop add-on for my shop now. Thanks for sharing.
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #13 
i was doing some spray painting today and realized how much easier it would be if I could hang the pieces in some way, thank you for showing me how easy it will be. One of those things that a guy has ask, 'Why didn't I think of that?' A very simple solution to a sometimes frustrating problem.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #14 
sjc5454

Another simple idea for holding your toys while spraying.  
You can use a dowel through the axle holes as a handle.
I like to use a turn table the spray the top and sides, then I can pick up the toy by the dowel and spray the bottom.
DSC05438_mini.JPG 
When finished I just hang up on peg board that I have drilled the proper size holes in for the dowels this way I can spray all sides at one time.
   Great work on you project.  You are going to be a great addition to the forum
Thanks for sharing.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #15 
These are very nice looking.  I love the stained wood and a great use of all those scrap pieces we have laying around.  Thanks for sharing.
Cindy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.