Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I made this for my grandson. I tried every method I could find on the internet, and the only one of these That I liked was cutting the pieces freehand. Unfortunately, I am terrible at it. So I developed a new method. Using Inkscape, I layered the template over the photo. The only downsides I found were: You must cut on the lines and the lines can be hard to see in the dark areas.

My Grandson and his cat Twitch

Template Puzzle 4x6 - 002 - Odin and Twitch.png

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
What a great photo, BadBob! You have a beautiful grandson (and grand cat 😉. You must be very proud.

Cynthia
Greg

Reply with quote  #3 
did you look at Steve Good's site  he has templates for puzzles

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
did you look at Steve Good's site  he has templates for puzzles

Yes, I looked at Steve's templates. I liked these better.

My problem was mostly the picture kept getting damaged. I tried Steve's method first using a real photo. He makes a sandwich with the photo in the middle. The photo stuck to the sacrificial wood. The other thing I did not like about that method was that you couldn't see what part of the picture you are cutting through. 

Using my method, I know where the cuts are going before I print the photo.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia lewman
What a great photo, BadBob! You have a beautiful grandson (and grand cat 😉. You must be very proud.

Cynthia

Thanks, he is very smart and a bit of a hand full. He is our center.

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #6 
What type of printer are you using to print the photo?  Once it is cut, what are you using to seal it?  Great looking guy and a good idea to use Inkscape!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonshanks
What type of printer are you using to print the photo?  Once it is cut, what are you using to seal it?  Great looking guy and a good idea to use Inkscape!

I used a Brother Laser Printer and Hammermill 100 Brightness, 32lb, 8-1/2 X 11, Photo White paper.

I did not seal it because everything I had on hand would change the colors slightly. 

Rod T

Reply with quote  #8 
Not sure how inkscape works, but you may be able to change the black outlines in the template to white or bright red or something.
Might make it easier to see the lines.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
Not sure how inkscape works, but you may be able to change the black outlines in the template to white or bright red or something.
Might make it easier to see the lines.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Rod T

I could make them any color. I chose black intentionally. If I wander off the line a little using black, it is barely noticeable.

I want to make the lines a bit thinner. The ones I am using are slightly thinner than a #5 scroll saw blade. 

Gippy

Reply with quote  #10 
I found it impossible to get a good cut using inkjet glossy paper. Always got some tearing of the colour along the cut edge. Tried various blades and different sandwich methods. I switched to regular paper and then spray lacquer to add some shine and protection. Anybody got glossy inkjet puzzles to work well?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gippy
I found it impossible to get a good cut using inkjet glossy paper. Always got some tearing of the colour along the cut edge. Tried various blades and different sandwich methods. I switched to regular paper and then spray lacquer to add some shine and protection. Anybody got glossy inkjet puzzles to work well?

The first one I tried was a purchased glossy print. Even cutting it with a new razor blade would damage the edge.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.