Author   Comment  
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #1 
Here are a couple of toys I recently completed. The first one is from the Fat Fender Freaky Ford set and the turquoise one is Osni's Hot Rod VW. The Freaky Ford color is actually deep purple with blue sparkle over it. I don't think the pictures do the colors justice. Enjoy!  Jim
102_1107.jpg  102_1108.jpg  102_1116.jpg  102_1117.jpg  102_1118.jpg  102_1120.jpg  102_1121.jpg  102_1123.jpg

Bourbon

Reply with quote  #2 
lovin' those colours
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Wow! This is a whole new level of wood toy finishes.These are fabulous. When you get some time could you tell us how you achieve such a fine finish? Thanks for sharing.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Jim,  that purple/blue colour scheme certainly lifts  what would otherwise be a fairly plain car to a higher level.
 Inspires me to pluck up the courage to have a go with metallics.
stonie

Reply with quote  #5 
great colours you have used well done
Peter V

Reply with quote  #6 
Great!

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
Wow! This is a whole new level of wood toy finishes.These are fabulous. When you get some time could you tell us how you achieve such a fine finish? Thanks for sharing.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for your kind comments. As far as how I achieved this finish, I will attempt to explain. Actually, it was quite simple. First, with the Freaky Ford, I used three different paints to get the effect I was after. All the paints were thinned with water to go through my airbrush.
102_1128.jpg  102_1130.jpg  102_1131.jpg  The purple was the base coat for the body. After that dried, I sprayed the "dragonfly glaze" over it to get the sparkle. Only needed a thin coat of this, just enough to cover evenly. The fenders were simply painted with the color shift blue violet. I got all these paints from Michael's craft store. I have not put any clear coat over this one yet. The finish is not super smooth because of the sparkle paint. Not sure if I am going to put clear over it or not. 

For the VW, I use three paints (black, turquoise and metallic aquamarine) and Rustoleum Gloss Clear (plenty of coats). Maybe three or four coats of clear. I painted the black portions first and set them off to the side to dry. Then I painted the sides of the body with the turquoise, making sure I masked off the part that would be glued to the middle and the fenders. Then I brush painted the fenders with the Extreme Sheen metallic Aquamarine. Again, all these paints were obtained from Michael's and are water based craft paint. I don't have a picture of the black I used but it was Folk Art Licorice. After all was dry, I glued the pieces together then sprayed the clear coats on, sanding with 220 or 330 paper between coats. I almost forgot, the exhaust pipes are painted simple silver and the "bumpers" were painted with a pewter color.
102_1127.jpg  102_1129.jpg  As I said before, it isn't difficult, just takes a little time. I use craft paints almost exclusively on my toys, as I have in the past for plastic models. They are very inexpensive, water based, non-toxic and cover well. I have hundreds of colors that my wife and I have collected over the years. Hope you enjoy the pictures of the toys and hope this explanation helps some.

LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Jim
You may be asked for advice from time to time [wink]
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFinger
Thanks Jim
You may be asked for advice from time to time [wink]

No problem, LeftFinger. I am here to help. Check out my latest post on using craft paints and airbrushes. Stay safe..... [thumb]
Willem

Reply with quote  #10 
Wow wow wow, The colours are just great. Love it.
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Willem. I really enjoy thinking up different color combinations for my models and these toys.
Jim
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.