Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #16 
Graham, absolutely great looking finish.  With all this work how much do you have to sell they for and is it marketable at those prices.  I know our dear friend that just passed (ken) did a great job painting and believed that "paint sellls" as he would tell me

PaPa Jack
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi PaPa Jack,

Thanks for the compliment. The prices I put on my toys for the little fire trucks, tow trucks and vans I have $25 on them and the bulldozers I have $30 on them. Making toys are the easy part for me but pricing them is another thing. I never know what price to put on toys
and it is hard to know if the prices too high or too low. All I know they sell pretty quick at the markets maybe they are too cheap as a couple of my friends have said. I saw that about Ken had passed. I was sorry to here that and its not nice when someone leave us.

Graham.
dmjones

Reply with quote  #18 
Hi Graham,

I am starting to make my first school bus for a friend. I would like to know what painting technique you use. They look so good. I have made a couple toys so far and can't seem to get the paint to look that good.

Any advice?

Thanks,
David
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjones
Hi Graham,

I am starting to make my first school bus for a friend. I would like to know what painting technique you use. They look so good. I have made a couple toys so far and can't seem to get the paint to look that good.

Any advice?

Thanks,
David
Hi David,

The technique I use after I have put the toys together I give them a finely sand with 80, 180, 230, 240 and 400 grit. Before I put the undercoat on I go all over with brown paper of the whole toys and that give the timber a nice shine plus it take off any fine sawdust.
I give the undercoat a light sand with 400 grit. Than I apply 2 or 3 coat of water base gloss paint and I sand in between the coats. I spray the toys with 2 coats of crystal clear acrylic gloss but before I put the 2 coats of clear finish on I go over again with the brown paper. I hope that helps. I be looking forward seeing your toys. I am in the middle building some trains with faces.

Graham.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.