Author   Comment  
woodpecker

Reply with quote  #1 
I had an old plastic model car that I had not put together, took a look at the parts in the box and used them on the wood toy truck of my design. I made my own decals for the license plate and back window.  The model kit chrome plastic pieces for the wheels and the exhaust parts had to be modified and then glued on.

I stumbled upon the
graduated shading from my computer drawing program and used it to make the windows decals. Painting is a pain and hard to get crisp lines so I used my computer software. After I sized the decals to fit the truck, I spray coated them with a clear coat and several coats.

The spray coat helped to stiffen them up. I then glued them on.  Did the same for the grill - found a pic of the truck, sized it to fit, printed it out, cut out the grill and used colored pencil to highlight and give it some color. I then sprayed on the clear. It's like making your own decal. This truck was started from scratch I and used wood,plastic and paper.
Bruce (woodpecker)

HPIM3532.JPG HPIM3535 - Copy.JPG HPIM3537.JPG HPIM3539.JPG HPIM3540.JPG HPIM3541.JPG

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is a creative example of the toymaker's art. Yours is a slick solution for getting realistic detail that's durable and dramatic. What size is the truck? Could you post another photo showing a hand holding the truck? That would help us understand the size of it.

Thanks for the details about making labels like the grill. Custom labels provide endless opportunities for adding fun details.

John
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice.  I really like the window idea.  I agree about the painting and taping on windows, this is a great alternative.  And with that front grill decal and license plate you can customize your toy for anyone.
woodpecker

Reply with quote  #4 
John, thanks for your help on my postings, I promise to get it right the next time,you do a great job at this site. Really appreciate the great remarks from you and Cindy on this project. The dimensions  on the truck.... 9" L x 2 3/4 W x 3 H
HPIM3542.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.