Author   Comment  
Lloyd

Reply with quote  #1 

Before I start to put the primer on I sand down with a block of wood and a medium sandpaper and not sand smooth not need to.  The primer will make it smooth. And   I not try to look for defects at this stage you will not see them.  The only way to see defects is to put the primer on and then you will see all your defects. If you try to get your defects out at this stage the chance is you will defect your work.
SAM_7451.jpg  Then the primer I thin down about 50 / 50 with paint thinners just a bit thicker than water. And paint all around wood end grain. This take about 5 minutes to dry. This seals it and make it very fairy to touch. But do not sand off it help to bond the main coat of primer. And with this first coat you can start to see your  defects.
SAM_7455.jpg  The primer I put on very thick.  When I got the primer from the paint shop it was not thick enough for me so I let the top off for about 2 or 3 days and keep stirring about 3 or 4 time a day so it not get a skin on it now it looks like tar just how I want it to be. It not matter how you put it on just put on thick. And leave till the next day. When I put the primer on it went very cold here so after about one hour I put the hair dryer on it for 10 minutes then left it till the next day. Don't worry how it looks most of this will flat out itself over night
SAM_7458.jpg  
The next day as you can see on the photo most of the primer as flat out itself and you have a good base to work on. And it is very easy to sand
SAM_7460.jpg  I use medium wet and dry sandpaper to get it flat and then a very fine wet and dry sandpaper to get all the defects out . As you can see on the photo when you flat it out you can see your defects. Make sure you get them all out .
SAM_7471.jpg  
 This took me about 20 minutes to sand down very easy to do. But it is still not perfect. I get more of the defects out with the first coat of paint.
SAM_7472.jpg Then I put a very fin coat of paint on just  enough for me to see defects and let it dry for 15 minutes. And then sand down with a very fine sand paper. Just sand down the defects bits not all the paint.
SAM_7479.jpg And then give it a very fin coat of paint again. So you can see if you got all the defects out . I had one or two more defects still on it so I sand it down again just defects bits.
SAM_7480.jpg   The third coat of paint I put on a normal coat. Now you can see it start to shine. Let it dry for about 30 minutes before you put the last coat on.
SAM_7483.jpg   The last coat I put on very thick and keep turning it in my hands so the paint does not run for about 5 minutes. But be careful you not put too much paint on.And try not to touch it for about 24 hours. As you can see you not need to buffer or polish. I used acrylic spray paint and used about half of tin of paint. And took me about 90 minutes to paint.
SAM_7491.jpg  SAM_7492.jpg  If I was going to hand paint I would put on a very thick first coat of paint on and sand down with wet and dry and about 5 very thin coats of paint. Hope this help you with your painting and would like to see your photo of your work if you try my painting techniques.

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Lloyd - Excellent presentation of your method yielding quality results, thanks for posting. I like how you prime your project and sand prior to the first top coat.
Any tips on how to spray inside areas like the cab interior, what to watch out for, overspray and running. You did mention that you rotate the project during the heavy final coat.
Lloyd

Reply with quote  #3 

The cab on this project I did not want  to much paint in side  because I got to glue the seats and bits in it. But I did spray paint the ceiling and front of the cab first. I always spray paint the inside and bottom first  and let it dry for about 2 or 3 minutes before I do the outside of model.  And it not matter about overspray it will blend into the paint. If I get a bad run in the paint I tilt it to get it to go where I want it to go or if it stops running and if I have not got it where I want to be I spray paint in front and get it running again. And I forgot to mention about when I spray paint it is always in my hand never work round want I ‘am painting always work it round me. Before painting I will drill a hole where I glue it to body and put a chopstick in the hole so you can turn it when painting. In Thailand you cannot buy round dowel. I have started to make my own round dowel  in my back yard I have steel post and drill many hole it and drive wood in the hole with my drill works good.
SAM_7498.jpg 

Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Lloyd - Thanks for the recent post expanding on your technique. I'm confident our members/guests will enjoy it. Your in Thailand eh! You must have great weather for woodworking all year round.
Funny you can not get good dowels and we in can't seem to buy decent dowels in North Americia. What is with these dowel suppliers? LOL.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.