Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
I am having trouble with the materials. The body is requiring 1-1/2" thick and 12-1/2" wide.
The legs I was hoping to use 2x6 and 2x8's. Please help, I am having much difficulty.
Don
Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
Do you have a jointer and thicknesser?

I had trouble getting thick enough timber for this project. I finally managed to get a hold of some pine in 42mm thick x about 180mm wide. I put it through the thicknesser to get it to 38mm (1.5 inch) but then had to glue 2 pieces together on the edges to get 2 wider boards for the main body. I did this very carefully, making sure that they were even across the board when glueing up, as it was now going to be too wide to go through the thicknesser. I used a jointer on the 2 edges that glued together, this was a great help.
I then used an orbital sander on the faces just to clean them up. 
The legs and rockers came out of the single pieces without glueing up, so they were pretty easy.
The middle section, which is 3/4 inch, I had to glue some pieces edge to edge and do the same as the main body. 

If you don't have a thicknesser, maybe a timber supplier near you can machine down some timber to the 1.5 inches. Worth asking the question. 

Cheers
Rod T

Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #3 
Rod,

Thanks for the info, I do not have either item.  

Will keep studying and working to solve my problem.

Don
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Wooddawg-attached is a PDF showing how I cut all the big parts from a 11-1/2" x 1-1/2" thick board with room to spare. By separating the heads from the body and then overlapping the joints you can hide the seams and have a perfectly strong assembly.

Attached Files
pdf Antique_1890_Rocking_Horse_cutting_layout.pdf (27.70 KB, 186 views)

Rob-b

Reply with quote  #5 
When I made this rocking horse I laminated 3/4" pine timber to get 1 1/2" thickness. I then used extra dowlels in the constructions to provide additional strength across the laminated boards. The dowlels were hidden within the construction. I added three dowels to the body and three for each leg.
The horse has stood up to the rigor of a three year old's testing. (There are photos of the finished horse in an earlier post)
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks John & Rob-b. I do hope I can do this build. I need to save face with my daughter. I feel like the pedestal I am on is to short to fall off of.

Don
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.