Author   Comment  
Ristoph

Reply with quote  #1 
Basically, I want to make one of these.
The head motion is all I'm really concerned about (shown in the video).

I'm not planning on selling it or anything, just making it for a close friend.
I feel like I can make the figure easily; I have a can of instamorph and I'm pretty good at molding things. Its just the actual mechanism that winds then shakes that I feel like I'll hit a roadblock on. Any suggestions on what I should buy, build or do?

UPDATE: I really appreciate everyones advice and I tried several of your ideas. Unfortunately, I'm pretty unskilled in this sort of stuff...and I may have overestimated my skills in molding plastic.

But surprisingly, I'm okay at sewing. So after, making an Alien: Resurrection tribute in my kitchen with all the failed plastic versions each majorly flawed in their own way, I made a stuffed animal version.

I placed a small wind up engine in the neck for the winding and turning effect and a plastic sphere with small pieces of plastic in it in the head for the rattle sound. I soon found out that the head was too big for the body and would not stay upright. So I molded a plastic spine and skill inside and passed it with stuffing. This is the result. Once again, thanks for everyone's help and I may come back to these ideas of I try to make a kodama version 6.0 lol

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 0708151703a-1.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 550.74 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 0708151704a-1.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 542.56 KB 

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Ristoph - Well that is a really odd project you are interested in.
A bobble-head with mechanical assist.
I have no idea where to by the mechanics other than on line and probably in quantities of 10,000 or more from China.
But I do have an idea for you.
Thrift shops, Dollar Stores, etc. do have low cost spring based wind up toys like the chattering teeth, little ducks/chickens that waddle around, any types of wind up/wiggle around toy and things like that.
Maybe you can pick up a couple, take them apart and use the mechanics for your project.
Then you can make your miniature Mystery Island aliens.
That's the best I can suggest.

Ristoph

Reply with quote  #3 
Appreciate the advice.
I hadn't thought about chattering teeth, but it does have that same sound. I may cheat and just make it a bobble head with a type of chattering teeth function.

Thank ya much!
Borg

Reply with quote  #4 
Interesting project, im thinking if you mount the head on a spring like a nodding dog and used a clockwork motor with a cam to his head off centre you would get it to shake, not sure turn pivot though, mount it on top of a nice box with the mechanisms hidden inside? then in theory the only mechanics you would see is a metal rod at the back and even that could be hidden in his body, the clicking mechanism would be easily added to the cog using thin bits of plastic , let us know what you come up with [smile] 
Ristoph

Reply with quote  #5 
Finished product:

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 0708151703a-1.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 550.74 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 0708151704a-1.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 542.56 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.