Author   Comment  
AES

Reply with quote  #1 
To make a change from the MG pedal car I posted about recently, and as a friend of ours has a young son just coming up to his 1st birthday, the short article in a recent edition of the US "Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts" mag seemed worth a try - and a lot less complicated than some of the small lettering I've been trying recently anyway.

The cutting out was fine on the Excali (1 inch plus real tough old pine shelves - Pegas No. 7 RT blade) and the tilting head on the Excali was especially useful for cutting the bevels on the wheels.

My wife decided to use the colour scheme from the recent Disney film about a parrot fish called "Nemo", and here's the result:

Attachment:
Nemo wiggle fish-C.jpg
Nemo wiggle fish-C.jpg [ 152.04 KiB | Viewed 22 times ]

The colours and varnish top coats are all child-safe (he's teething right now), and as we were trying to more or less get the idea of a natural living creature, my wife used mixed artists acrylic colours without rubbing down between each of the 3 coats, and with no masking for the straight lines. I'm not sure we've quite achieved the desired irregular scaly effect, but the only real "problem" was in mixing the main orange body colour - my wife used about 1 part of red to 3 parts bright yellow, and it looked fine when it was wet. But as you can see, as the colour dried it got darker and darker and now looks pretty much back at the red it started off with.

The wheels are deliberately set off-centre on the axles. That creates the swimming/wobbling motion between the 2 body parts and the tail as it's pulled along.

If I made this again I'd probably use something like model aircraft control surface hinges to join the 3 separate body parts closer together (rather than the hooks & eyes specified); and maybe I'd slightly reduce the off-centre dimension of the wheels on the axles (to smooth out the wiggling action a bit).

This is clearly NOT the sort of high class work than I normally see here, and I certainly don't expect plaudits. But I thought members might be interested to see a really crude and simple child's toy for a change.

AES

ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
This is very cute - great finish and colors.  it looks like it should be load of fun for the little one getting it.  good idea on the off center axle to get some movement on the toy.  good thing to file in the back of my mind.  not sure what you mean about not the sort of high class work because I think this is right up there.  thanks for sharing. 
Cindy
AES

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Cindy, glad you like it. We're pretty sure young Peter will.

BTW, the offset wheels was not my idea, that is in the original plan as published in the mag.

AES

Reply with quote  #4 
Just to finish off my original post, I'm now back home and young Peter does really seem to like his waggle fish.

He's not quite 1 yet but is just about to start walking unaided, so Nemo should be a good incentive.

Meantime he HAS discovered that the pull ball (apparently) tastes terrific (!!!!), and when holding the string with the ball swinging loose it makes a satisfactorily loud noise on the bars of his play pen!

See below:

Peter-Nemo 2-C.jpg

AES

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #5 
AES

Good job and remember it does not matter what we think when we build a toy for a child, it is the smiles the toy generates when the child plays.

The photo shows everything I want to see.

I like you complain to my wife all the time about something I have made, because of little mistakes, or something I thought I could have done better, and her answer is almost always the same: "If it was perfect it would not be Home Made."  Bless her heart.

I like what you did here, keep up the good work.

AES

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the comments Ken. Your wife is of course quite correct!

I think this may count as a smile?

Peter-Nemo 1-C.jpg 

AES

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Love the photos and the design. How are you coming along with the MG pedal car? FYI-we get hundreds of visitors to the forum and just a few desire to post. We would like to see more about the MG!
AES

Reply with quote  #8 
Hullo John,

In one word, S L O W L Y!

To be fair to myself I've not only been away in Germany (delivering the fish) for 10 days or so, but also absent fiddling around with hospital appointments, etc (I have a back problem).

BUT I am making some progress with the MG and will post some more progress pix when I have something worth showing (but DON'T hold your breath please).  ;-)

AES

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #9 
AES

What a beautiful smile, that is exactly why we build toys for the little ones.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #10 
Awesome update and photos.  Smiles are good. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.