Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #1 
I wanted to post some photos of our new Bi-Planes from the FuzzyDuck Hangers.

DSC03713_mini.JPG  You might notice several changes to the plan build.  First I added a 2nd center piece to the body of the plane, making it a little wider.  Second, I changed the wheels.
All the planes are made of Alder, except for the wings on the plain wooden plane.
DSC03762_mini.JPG  Note the spoke wheels
DSC03761_mini.JPG  The Popular on the wings gives a nice contrast to the body of Alder.
DSC03752_mini.JPG  All the darker parts are burnt in an oven.
DSC03751_mini.JPG  The Blue plain below was build for a customer.  When I have a project for a customer, I usually build multiples just in case I mess on up.  The customer's plane is always a step ahead of the others, just in case i make a mistake.  Don't ask how I learned to do this.
DSC03736_mini.JPG  The blue plane is painted with two coats of Krylon primer and two coats of blue color, sanding in between each coat.  It is finished with one coat of Krylon's triple clear coat, and Cynthia's beeswax.
DSC03741_mini.JPG  For me I get my smoothest finish with the most shine when using Krylon spray products.

The green and gold plane below is an experimental paint job.
I painted the plane without using primer.  I used two coats of green and three coats of yellow FolkArt craft metallic acrylic brush on paint.  I am amazed at the results.  Very good coverage with this paint, using no primer.  It has a rough surface finish because of the metallic flakes, so it needs to be sanded between coats.  
DSC03743_mini.JPG  I like the coverage look of both colors.  In these photos there is no protective coats over the paint.
I will finish with several coats of poly, and a coat of Cynthia's beeswax later.
DSC03733_mini.JPG 
Photo below is the reason I make toys.

DSC03012_mini.JPG 
DSC03712_mini.JPG  Hope you enjoyed the photos.  If you have comments or would like more info about the 1927 Bi-Planes from Toymakingplans.com, you can post here or contact me at my e-mail at kenmartin4141.@gmail.com.

Thanks

KenFM

Reply with quote  #2 
Ken
It is my intention to build up a stock of various toys over the coming months and looking at your Bi-Planes makes me want to attempt these. Excellent pictures.
Ken Fenelon
kfenelon@outlook.com
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Ken
This is a fun build.  The mods to the plan made the plane easier to build for me anyway.
1. I put in a second center piece (part 1 in the plan) which gave the tail more glue surface to glue to.
It also made the cockpit wider if you want to put in a pilot.
2.  I used wider wheels to make the wheel section more stable, and it eliminated several parts
3.  I also put in two dowels to pin the bottom wing to the body for strength.  I had a Bi-Plane damaged when it was pressed on from the top.  The glue gave way between the top of the bottom wing and the bottom of the body.  You can see the dowel pins in the bottom in the photo of my Grandson playing with the plane.

Enjoy the build.

Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Ken
Wow, what an excellent squadron of planes.
Doubling up the centre section is a very interesting mod and looks quite acceptable for the scale of this toy.
The Alder body with pine wings looks great.
Was the Alder much more expensive?
The cooked wood plane also looks great, nice job, now that's a great looking natural wood toy.
Blue plane, very nice selection of colours for the accented components.
Were these selected/specified by the customer - how do you offer colour choices?
Green/yellow plane - you mentioned it will receive several coats of polly - will that be using a spray?
Do you spray in stages - how do you get good coverage of all the components after it has been assembled? Do you some how suspend the toy and spray or is everything done while the toy is sitting flat on a table?
It's always a treat when you post your projects, can't say enough good things about your abilities and workmanship.
Want more!
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #5 
Udie Thanks For All The Kind Words

To answer some of your questions, I hope it is OK here.

Alder:  Little more expensive, but for a toy that sells for $49.00 it is OK.  I think I got 4 planes out of the wood that only cost $24.00.

The Blue Plane:  This was the color shown on my ETSY site.  The customer ordered it as is because her son loves Blue.

Offering Color Choices;  There is a place on the ETSY site where you can offer choices, but I do not.
I like to post what I have made, and if the customer wants a different color they can always request it.
I stay in touch with my customers from the moment the order comes in until the day I ship it.  This time the customer waited over 2 months because of my illness.  I think, because I do keep in touch with clients, they understand when something goes wrong and usually will wait it out.

Green & Gold Plane:  This is one of the rare times I will be using a poly brush on.  As stated above this is an experiment in painting because of the FolkArt Metallic Acrylic brush on craft paint.  Because of the metallic chips in the paint, this product goes on with a little rougher texture than craft paints.  I will use two to three coats of brushed on poly to even out the paint finish so I can apply the final coat of Cynthia's Beeswax Paste one a smoother surface.

Spraying In Stages Or All At Once:  I like to spray one side and edges at a time, then lightly buff or sand the painted surface just painted, then turn the piece over and spray the bottom side.  I buff or sand the painted side before I turn it over to spray the bottom side because I will get just a little over spray back on the 1st painted side.  Now when I use fine sand paper on both sides and the edges I am working with the same surface coverage on both sides.  This helps to keep the coverage even.

Suspending Parts for Painting:  I paint flat on a table on little turn tables, with very thin Bar-B-Q sticks under the piece I am painting.  This way I can get at all sides of the project without touching it, and the Bar-B-Q sticks keep the unpainted side just off the surface.  (you can buy a 100 of these sticks for under $2.00 at the supermarket).
I can not suspend things in the air here because Santa Maria almost always has wind blowing.  I have learned to paint around corners out of the wind, and how to paint with the wind to keep the spray going where I need it to go.  Also I bump spray a lot.  By that I mean I am just tapping the sprayer nozzle with real quick taps.  This helps from getting runs in tight places.

Hope this is not to boring Udie, but you asked, and maybe it will help people who have to paint outside.

Again thanks for the nice words about my planes

Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
Ken - of course you can answer questions here, this is where they were asked. Your breakdowns on how custom colours are offered/ordered was very interesting, nice option to offer. I am sure your response will give Forum members and visitors an idea of what they can offer to increase sales.
I like what you said about staying in contact with you customer during the build, it falls in line with John's recent video post of focusing on customers. You are not just taking an order and shipping it, you are opening the door for extended communications with the possibility of future/further orders. Nice touch.

The Bi-Plane is not the easiest project to apply a finish to. The details you have provided on your method of spray finishing will help me and again I am confident our members/visitors also will benefit from reading your methods.
Thanks again Ken for sharing this inside information.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Sdaupanner

Sorry I missed your post about the nose mounted gun like the real planes had.

I am sure it would not be to hard to do, however, the reason I don't do it is to keep the build as simple as poss able.  Also the less break offable (new word) parts the better, for toys for children.

I like the idea about painting them the Red Baron's colors, you could put the Red Baron's markings on the tall and the wings, like I did with the USA Star Logo on the plain below.  1898 Edited 4in and 300dpi_mini.jpg 
Before you eagle eyed toy makers notice, I know the decals should have been bigger, and I should have put decals on the tail.  That was all I had at the time and I needed to get this plane out to a customer.
1904 Edited 4in and 300dpi_mini.jpg
she loved it anyway.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #8 
Ken - I really like these.  Great colors and the cooked natural version is very nice looking.  I've purchased this pattern and hadn't tried it yet but will.  I appreciate you also sharing your customer contact experience.  That information is very helpful. 
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks ctowne for the nice words about the Bi-Plane. [smile]

The all natural Bi-Plane with the burnt parts sold the other night.
I had to go to a meeting in town and took the bi-plane with me and a man giving the presentation fell in love with the Bi-Plane.  I had just set it on the table in front of me and did not have to say a word.
He came over after the meeting and asked if he could buy it.
He also asked for a bunch of cards, because he has some friends he want to share it with.

It never hurts to have one of your toys with you, and cards.  We gave away 4 cards that night.

Again thanks.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #10 
Ken - I like the idea of bringing the toys with you.  It is a good marketing method.
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow, Lovely...I really like this.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #12 
I know you're in the US but you could also look into putting the RAF and RCAF emblems on some too....

I don't know if you like modding the plans, but you could try to make a Fokker DIII tri-plane.....that's on my too do list.....right along with a Se5a......

Just a note: if you want an easy way to get all 6 sides of an item, since most of our stuff has wheels, stick a long length of dowel in the axle holes......if it is too snug to turn, the better, you can pick it up, turn it around, upside down, whatever.....I do this will all my vehicles.......
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #13 
Muskokamike

I love history and have always been impressed what the RAF did to save the country during the war.
I would not be apposed to putting the RAF and RCAF decals on my planes.  
That is a good Idea.

Thanks for the idea about painting all 6 sides.  I usually hold my projects on a dowel now when painting because it is so much easier to get an even coat on if you can hold and move the part around.
Thanks.

Wholesaletoys
Thanks for the kind words about the Bi-Planes.  They are fun to make and have become one of my best sellers.

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #14 
Yeah dowels are the best....even better? I have a whole bunch of 1/4" steel rod left over from a job that I stick 1 in each axle hole then have a bunch of pairs of small wood arms sticking out of the wall...the 1/4" rods rest on them....I can often put 5 or more Play Pals on at once....the only thing is getting to the sides and you do get spray shadow lines below the axle holes...have to watch for that....but they'll be covered by the wheels anyways so it isn't a HUGE deal....I'll shoot some pics when I get the time....
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #15 
Hey Ken, this is really awesome, good work with wood. Thanks for sharing,
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.